Back of seat strap

Has anyone figured out why the straps do not hold tight without tying in a knot. Is it the buckle not being sharp enough to bite into the strap or is it because the straps are old and getting hard. Tying in a knot works but it is a real pain when trying to adjust it.

I had this problem for some time. Someone finally pointed out to me that the straps were installed backwards, such that when leaning back in the seat the buckle was pinched between the seat and back "wall". Switched them around and haven't had a problem since even though I no long put a knot in. Don't recall exactly how they are positioned now, but if you need one I can take a photo and post it.

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

Those buckles probably weren't meant for that kind of weight. Just throw a half hitch in. It is easy to undue and will not slip. I never had mine slip. I put half hitches in many of my client straps.

That's fine if you are the only one flying the airplane. When you have multiple users flying the plane adjusting every flight is a problem.  That being said I never had any problems with my CTLS strap slipping.

The seat back straps on my 2006 CTSW are solid as a rock. Make sure installation is correct. Here's why!

It is very important to have those adjusted properly. If the seat "bottoms out," and slams against the aft bulkhead, due to the back strap being too loose, it can crack the seat itself, which probably would render the airplane in an unsafe condition. The integrity of each seat, is an inspection item, during the annual or 100 hour Condition Inspection.

If you guys with high back seats do not suspend the seat with the strap and let the seat back rest against the bulkhead you will break the seat right across the middle. I have seen too many of these. Keep the seat back off the bulkhead .

Archived