CTSW Paint cracking

gja533

I have a 2007 CTSW and for some time now, I've been noticing the paint cracking, lifting off, and chipping.   The plane has always been hangered, never left in the elements.

Just curious, is anyone else having this issue and if so, what can be done to prevent further cracking of the paint?

Your thoughts are most appreciated.

Jerry

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

My 2007 also has paint cracks, also hangared.  I’ve seen the same on others.  I don’t think the gel coat paint jobs on these airplanes are outstanding in that regard.

Andy, I don't think they use gel coat.

I think I have a similar problem with my cowling ( not CTLS but 2012 Sting , another carbon/fiberglass plane ) , right in the center where there is a lots of stress being applied (if one is not careful) anytime the cowling is being taken off the engine.

There is no damage on the other side whatsoever so it does look to me like simple paint cracks ( the affected area  is pretty small - about 2 inches or so  )

gja533 .. does it look similar ?

cowling1.jpg

cowling2.jpg

On 5/17/2018 at 9:18 PM, Warmi said:

I think I have a similar problem with my cowling ( not CTLS but 2012 Sting , another carbon/fiberglass plane ) , right in the center where there is a lots of stress being applied (if one is not careful) anytime the cowling is being taken off the engine.

There is no damage on the other side whatsoever so it does look to me like simple paint cracks ( the affected area  is pretty small - about 2 inches or so  )

gja533 .. does it look similar ?

cowling1.jpg

cowling2.jpg

That's pretty bad, how big of an area is that?  Those long cracks radiating out from the central area look particularly nasty.  I have an area on my lower right cowling that looks like the center part of that area, but not as bad.  I think mine was caused either by flexing when removing the cowl, and/or heat damage from the muffler which is right behind it.  It was like that when I bought the airplane 500hrs ago and has not really gotten worse.  Eventually I should probably consider repainting the lower cowling.

It actually looks on that picture much worse than it is-  is about 2-3 inches and you can't really see it until you get close  .. I am pretty sure, as Roger suggested this issue is exacerbated every time I  take off the cowling and are not careful enough to make sure to support the middle - if I am holding only one side,  the cowling is so light , it basically bends at that very point and the crack gets wider.

I have dime size blisters on the cowl and a chip or two on the spinner.    My biggest concern is the paint crack where the windscreen and fuselage meet as shown below.    This paint crack has been in progress for about 4 years, growing an inch a year.     I've been told by an authorized dealer when the paint crack started, it was superficial and nothing more.   

I'm going to write to Flight Design to see what they think....hopefully they will respond.

Thanks everyone for your replies and sharing knowledge!

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

Cowlings with this shape are known to create paint cracks like this. I had a mooney that had cracks like that. As another poster said, often its engine heat, but also cooling cycles.

Once a paint crack on a cowling starts, it propagates very easily due to expansion and contraction from heating and cooling.

Just do a coin tap test from the underside. If it passes, don't worry about it.

If this were somewhere other than a cowling, I'd be a lot more concerned.

• 1 month later...

Body shops can fix it.

HOWEVER, it should be noted that because our parts are aircraft parts, and insanely expensive, so don't go to some cheapo shop where they won't take responsibility if they damage it.

Ask for photos after the paint is removed so that you know the composite underneath is alright (and photo evidence they didn't damage it).

Archived