Camping via CT?

Hambone

We're gearing up for a week or so at Santa Ynez, CA from here in Tucson.

Anyone camped from their CT? We're hoping to carry everything we need to hike away from the airport, camp, and hike back. I realize that we are space-limited, so it's going to be ultralight backpacking gear.

Anyone done this already? Tips and tricks?

Thanks!

Flew all over Alaska for a month with Camping/Survival gear. I recommend very light backpacks and I packed most everything in plastic garbage bags.  They are very light and conforms to the baggage compartment.  You can even put them in the baggage comp first (empty)  and then put your stuff in, then tie them closed and tie down. I would keep all your emergency/survival equipment behind the seats.  Easy to reach when you are hanging from a tree.

I have done it.  It's pretty easy to bring what you need if you're solo, if you have a passenger it gets hard or impossible if you want to stay at legal weight.  You might be able to have enough stuff for a night, but not for a multi-day excursion.  You can substitute a very lightweight tarp for a heavier tent and camp under the wing if the temperature is moderate and save a couple of pounds there.  Also ditch all the junk you might have in the airplane that you don't absolutely need -- I have a cover,  and a decent amount of tools that normally stay in the airplane, probably 12-15lb.  If I was camping with a passenger all that would have to go, and I'd just accept that some problems would require calling for help.

43 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Weight is not a problem. It's more the volume of the cargo area, and being able to get the backpacks through the cargo hatch.

You definitely need to check out the Rans S-21 Outbound. I saw it at Sun n' Fun. Impressive. All kinds of engines available.

I think it would be the perfect, 2-person, outback airplane for camping.

Like it! I flew the Kitfox in Idaho a few years ago. Similar concept. I'm finishing up my CFI-S, and I plan on teaching in a tricycle gear, so a taildragger is out.

I think the Vashon Ranger would be perfect for camping and teaching, if only it had a lighter, modern engine.

2 hours ago, Hambone said:

Like it! I flew the Kitfox in Idaho a few years ago. Similar concept. I'm finishing up my CFI-S, and I plan on teaching in a tricycle gear, so a taildragger is out.

I think the Vashon Ranger would be perfect for camping and teaching, if only it had a lighter, modern engine.

The S-21 can be configured tricycle gear also.

Archived