Skyview Classic

solarguy54

So I just installed the Dynon SV-ADSB-472 module under an FD MRA on a Skyview Classic 2012 CTLS. INSTALL WENT GREAT. I’ve also added the Dynon Wi-Fi adapter so I can link Foreflight to the Skyview for ADS-B in to Foreflight and flight plans out to Skyview moving map. Awesome! BUT, the Digiflight II-VS autopilot is NOT driven from the Skyview, but is driven off of the Garmin 696. I wonder why FD picked the Digiflight instead of the Dynon autopilot servers? Skyview comes standard with full autopilot. Anyway, I want to drive the autopilot from the Skyview instead of the Garmin so it can follow a route uploaded from Foreflight. According to Dynon, this only requires a single serial wire change out of a serial port on the Skyview. Has anyone done this? Does it require an LOA from FD?

Digiflight has an upgrade deal to their Vizion 380 - a drop in replacement for the Digiflight II - which will interface with Skyview. It works very well after a lot of trouble shooting that found the harness they sent me (it was supposed to be plug and play, basically) was mis-connected, at least for my plane. After going back and forth between Digiflight and Dynon I finally decided to start tracing wires and found that one wire went to a receive port rather than a transmit port on the serial bus on the Dynon displays. Swapped pins and all was well.

I agree, it would be nice to have the Dynon setup, but that gets very pricey as a retrofit.

On 5/27/2018 at 10:57 PM, Doug G. said:

Digiflight has an upgrade deal to their Vizion 380 - a drop in replacement for the Digiflight II - which will interface with Skyview. It works very well after a lot of trouble shooting that found the harness they sent me (it was supposed to be plug and play, basically) was mis-connected, at least for my plane. After going back and forth between Digiflight and Dynon I finally decided to start tracing wires and found that one wire went to a receive port rather than a transmit port on the serial bus on the Dynon displays. Swapped pins and all was well.

I agree, it would be nice to have the Dynon setup, but that gets very pricey as a retrofit.

Did you need to get an MRA from FD for that? Sounds like a great solution. The upgrade is $1K ($300 trade-in on the Digiflight II VS

Sid

On 5/29/2018 at 12:01 PM, solarguy54 said:

Did you need to get an MRA from FD for that? Sounds like a great solution. The upgrade is $1K ($300 trade-in on the Digiflight II VS

Sid

I called FDUSA and was told that since it was a replacement and no modifications were necessary it did not need an MOA.

I guess I would advise you to make the same call just to cover the bases.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the upgrade and it was a piece of cake. Still driving it off of the Garmin. To switch to the Skyview will require

1. configuring a Skyview serial port
2. adding a serial out wire from the Skyview to the Vizion
3. removing the two ARINC wires from the Garmin to the Vizion

What I think I will do is add a DP3T toggle switch so I can select either the Garmin or the Skyview to drive the autopilot from the panel. Very simple.

Archived