Worried about the gurgling!

Buckaroo

2007 CTSW with 760 hours. Today I warmed my engine in order to do an oil change. After stopping the engine at 122 degrees I took the oil cap off and went to gurgle the engine. It immediately gurgled and continues to gurgle after each prop turn. I changed the oil and it is gurgling on every turn???

Im afraid to start it now!

8 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Normal since you ran the engine.

I’m a little embarrassed! Learn stuff every day!

My first thought was I got air in the oil system! 

Question? Where you all tying your safety wire to for the oil tank drain plug? 

Question? My torx magnetic plug is frozen tight. Is the heat and cool the best or only way to go?

Thanks everyone!

9 hours ago, Buckaroo said:

2007 CTSW with 760 hours. Today I warmed my engine in order to do an oil change. After stopping the engine at 122 degrees I took the oil cap off and went to gurgle the engine. It immediately gurgled and continues to gurgle after each prop turn. I changed the oil and it is gurgling on every turn???

Im afraid to start it now!

I’ve decided to quit over thinking this stuff! I just ran a safety wire over to the gascolator line and secured it. No way the oil drain bolt will get loose! 

Instead of removing and possibly screwing up the magnetic plug I resafety wired it and will shine the mag plug inspection for another day! 

Thanks Roger for the reply on the gurgling situation! I buttoned things up and confidently flew her this afternoon. She is running smooth and is a wonderful flying machine!???

3 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Call me and I'll tell you how to remove the old Torx magnetic plug. You do need the new style. It has a 16 mm hex head. Those Torx were a pain.

Thanks I’ll call you tomorrow! I just saw your reply! ?

1 hour ago, Buckaroo said:

I’ve decided to quit over thinking this stuff! I just ran a safety wire over to the gascolator line and secured it. No way the oil drain bolt will get loose! 

Instead of removing and possibly screwing up the magnetic plug I resafety wired it and will shine the mag plug inspection for another day! 

Thanks Roger for the reply on the gurgling situation! I buttoned things up and confidently flew her this afternoon. She is running smooth and is a wonderful flying machine!???

There is a hole for safety wire in the hex on the tank where the plug screws in.

The new magnetic plug has two holes. Some run a wire through both. Remember safety wire is just there to keep vibration from loosening the bolt. So in reality you only need one hole. This is all I use.  You want the safety wire to pull in the direction of bolt tightening. This usually means the hole on the bottom of the mag plug once installed. Go from the mag plug up to the 6mm screw on the gearbox about at the 10 o'clock position from the plug. It is about 2.5 in. away.

There is more than one way to do this and other ways may be acceptable and in use by others.

Archived