Garmin 797 Update

Andy A

Dumb question.  We are relatively new owners of a 2014 CTLSi with a Garmin 796 installed in the dash.  I don't think its been updated since it was new.  My question is how do I update it?  Do I need to remove the unit and take the entire unit to my computer or is there a SD card that can be removed?  I'm sure I can figure it out, but wanted to ask on the forum before I give it a try.

I updated my 796 recently by taking it out , connecting it to my PC running Garmin update software ( which you can get and install from their site) and then running the software ( which then automatically detected my purchased content - which can be partial, you don't need to update all 796 databases - and then updating the device )

Pretty painless once you have their software installed.

BTW..make sure to update your software as well ... my 796 was something like 2 or 3 software cycles behind when I bought the plane. To their credit , Garmin still releases software updates for their older devices.

55 minutes ago, S3flyer said:

Nope.  Literally just bought the US Bundle annual subscription which includes Nav, Flite Charts, obstacle, terrain, IFR/VFR charts, Safe Taxi, AFD and AOPA.

Interesting, the full bundle for a 496 single update for everything is over $300.

Archived