Heater control Removal

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

I need to remove my heater controls (cabin & carb heat knobs) to relocate them for my iFly panel upgrade.  I can't tell from the maintenance manual if the knobs come off the shafts, or if I will have to remove the cables from the back of the shafts and then pull them out.  Can somebody who has done it (Corey, Tom, Roger...) tell me the best way to proceed?

Thanks!

I unhooked the cable from the back and pulled them out. Be careful if you do it that way, because there is a spring with a couple pucks that puts tension on the shafts and it will come flying out. Ask me how I know! Also you might need a longer cabin heat cable. I did on the CTLS. I don't know about the CTSW carb heat cable. Luckily I had saved a throttle cable when I had replaced a set and it was long enough for a replacement.

I just cut the old brass crimp off and slid the cable out the hole. Then I used a cable stop with a set screw. You can also just crimp a new cable stop on and then use a cotter pin. Just push the cable into the eye of the cotter pin and then put the cotter pin through the hole. Then the cotter pin / cable can be removed any time. I posted pictures of this years ago. This makes it easy for future removals. This is in our pictures section.

post-3-0-68760700-1388931926_thumb.png

11 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

I unhooked the cable from the back and pulled them out. Be careful if you do it that way, because there is a spring with a couple pucks that puts tension on the shafts and it will come flying out. Ask me how I know! Also you might need a longer cabin heat cable. I did on the CTLS. I don't know about the CTSW carb heat cable. Luckily I had saved a throttle cable when I had replaced a set and it was long enough for a replacement.

If the puck/spring assembly comes out, how hard is it to get back in afterwards?  I assume it's inside the plastic block, putting pressure on the shaft perpendicular to shaft travel.  I could see that as a real PITA to reinstall...

Like Al said it is not to bad. Hold your finger over the hole in the end of the block when you pull the first shaft out to catch the puck and spring. When you put it back together insert the first puck, the spring, and the second puck. Push it in and insert the shaft. It wasn't a big deal. Finding the first puck and spring took longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Which one do you need, set screw type or crimp? The cable is 1mm. The crimps are 1/16" copper aircraft cable stops. You can but an aluminum stop at the hardware store, but you will need to drill it out for the cable to pas through it twice like the original. you will not need to drill out the copper stops. Aircraft Spruce number for the stop is 04-00899 .

For the screw type check your local hobby shop. A 1/16"  Dubro EZ Connector will work. Cut the pin off and file it smooth.

22 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Which one do you need, set screw type or crimp? The cable is 1mm. The crimps are 1/16" copper aircraft cable stops. You can but an aluminum stop at the hardware store, but you will need to drill it out for the cable to pas through it twice like the original. you will not need to drill out the copper stops. Aircraft Spruce number for the stop is 04-00899 .

For the screw type check your local hobby shop. A 1/16"  Dubro EZ Connector will work. Cut the pin off and file it smooth.

Thanks, I need the screw type.  

Archived