Door Lever Guide Plate

ibjet

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have latched and unlatched my doors probably 20 times since installing the 3D printed replacement plastic door lever guides. They are holding up just fine so far. I do not see any wearing. The lever does have quite a bit of spring pressure inward (pulls toward Aircraft center line) and so I do see my parts flex a little bit. I was not sure what the original door markings were, so I just made up what made sense to me. Took a picture of the pilots side yesterday. I took a beautiful flight down to Lake Havasu and had an early dinner. The restaurant is more like a rustic night club. They even have bands on the weekend! New favorite short trip!

plastic door latch guide.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

ABS is definitely stronger. The challenge for this particular part will be getting it to withstand heat exposure (like time on the tarmac on a hot summer day. For that, it would be better to machine the part out of Delrin or equiv (which is grey like the original parts. 

I went with the most common 3D print filament just so I could get usable parts without too many hours of learning how to deal with the more difficult filaments. 

But, if I had bought a mini CNC Mill I would have used Delrin. 

The parts I made are holding up fine so far. Not at all sure they will servive a hot day outside!

Great question!!!

ET 

Archived