Interesting Rotax engine failure.

Buckaroo

He said it in the end. He ignored others advice. A 23 year old engine, bumped an 80 hp to 120 hp. Lots of issues played into this and yet the engine ran for 23 years. It was never ever designed to be 120 hp and those stresses.

At 23 years it certainly wasn't an Mfg defect.

Wow - good that Trent kept his wits about him.  And glad he had a good place to put the plane down.

I don’t know what extra stresses the big bore kit would have added, but using 23 year old, unknown engine parts was probably a poor choice to make.  Had this occurred over inhospitable terrains (badlands of North Dakota or over the Grand Canyon or Colorado River), the outcome could have been very different.  Given just the scenario of flying over terrain with minimal (or no) options for landing would want me to have the most reliable power plant available.

I’ve watched a lot of his shows and he does a good job with the videos and editing. I’d say he did lose the engine that way and built a story around it. 

I know viewers are trying to get him to get Kit Fox to compensate him for plugging their airplane. 

I think he’s involved with a group called the flying Cowboys. Big tire guys!

Archived