Tru Track Install

Phil B

I also sent my 2008 TruTrack back for repair.  They were great to work with.  The issue was that the unit seemed to wander to the left 10-15 degrees before correcting itself.  While talking to the good folks at TruTrack I mentioned that my unit had only one tube connected to the back of it.  It went to the pitot side.  They said that it should have both static and pitot.  Anyone else notice this same configuration and is it correct for my aircraft

Static port not connected won't cause heading to wander. It will read cabin pressure which may be more or less that actual static pressure depending on if you have a forced air vent open or not. It will affect airspeed and altitude indications only.

There are adjustments on the trutrak unit that it relies on to correct error. Essentially, it's a PID controller and some setting might be off. Make sure you ask for the manuals for your unit from trutrak support.

As for pitot and static lines:

The pitot line is used as one component of the airspeed system to keep the autopilot from overspeeding the airplane. There's a max airspeed setting in the unit's configuration that will cause it to pull up if it gets too close to it. Without this line connected, it is unable to assess the airspeed of the aircraft.

The static line is for altitude hold and rate of ascent/decent, as well as the second component of the airspeed system. Without this line connected, it will sense cabin pressure, which will be lower than outside air pressure. This will cause the airspeed system to sense a higher speed than indicated.

Archived