Fuel Sight Tubes

Tom Baker

I always installed with the natural curl as well, but it just wouldn't make the radius without wanting to kink. I have tried longer as Roger suggest, but it would still kink. It has been my experience that once it pinches that there is nothing you can do to get it out. By storing it the way I have shown I am making the natural curl a smaller radius, which is less prone to kinking.

I did experiment with an airplane several years ago by installing one of these in each sight tube. http://www.univair.com/piper/piper-pa-11/view-all/u10853-000-piper-fuel-gauge-float-ball/  It worked pretty good if the tubes were installed without kinking. The ball is small enough to roll in the tube, but large enough to not pass through the fittings.

10 hours ago, Flying Bozo said:

Simple push button LED array from Harbor Freight flashlight velcro behind sight tube. You won't have to change the sight tubes as often.

Larry

I don't think I have ever changed out a sight tube except when I was doing a 2 year wing inspection or a 5 year rubber replacement. IMO you would be foolish not to change them when the wings are off for other maintenance. With the wings removed replacing them is a quick easy job.

• 1 year later...

I find it difficult to see the sight tubes inside the hole at wing root, specially in flight. I am wondering about using a longer hose so that it would make the turn inside the fuselage, or installing a level viewer inside the cabin (close to the hole where they are today) like the ones used int he old PA-18. Anyone has a opinion on that?

On 2/15/2020 at 8:53 PM, PauloSerra said:

I find it difficult to see the sight tubes inside the hole at wing root, specially in flight. I am wondering about using a longer hose so that it would make the turn inside the fuselage, or installing a level viewer inside the cabin (close to the hole where they are today) like the ones used int he old PA-18. Anyone has a opinion on that?

I wouldn't do that.  Makes them easy to bump or bend by pilot/passenger, and if they leak or split they will dump fuel in your lap instead of along the outside of the wing root and down the outside of the fuselage.

Look earlier in this post to see the LED back-lit array that I posted several years ago. IT is simple and has worked for me for the last seven  years.  

IT operates on three AAA batteries in a small case with a push button switch to illuminate the LED array. Simple to put together and at almost no cost since the LED array is from a Harbor Freight free flashlight. Low voltage 4.5 volts and you can see the level in the sight gauges without much effort even if they are slightly discolored.

Larry

Thanks, Flying Bozo. I have seen your post.

In fact, I had made something similar some time ago but decided to take it out. Even with the light, I find the position of the sight tubes difficult to see while in flight and having to press a button to light it was not easy.

Has someone tried to install a sight tube as suggested earlier by Sandpiper?

I take note of the concerns raised by FlyingMonkey but I believe it is doable without creating risks.