CFI-S Training Time Will Now Count Toward Higher Ratings

Andy

It becomes effective on July 27th, 2018. Do keep that in mind!

EDIT: Per my later reply:

What I mean is, this change becomes active on July 27th.

You are correct that all previous time counts, if it wasn't intended that way, it would be specified as "Training obtained after July 27th...."

I bring this up because someone might go to a DPE in the next few weeks and not realize this isn't in effect yet.

Well, it may become effective on that date but the previously logged time should still count - it is not like this ruling introduced any new requirements that would make only newly logged time applicable.

Since I sign with just my name and CFI number as it is on my certificate, any DPE would be hard pressed to know I was a CFI-S unless he knew who I was.  That's one of several reasons why the change makes sense, though not the most compelling one.  Different parts of the NPRM kick in at different times, so you need to run down what part becomes effective when. 

1 hour ago, Warmi said:

Well, it may become effective on that date but the previously logged time should still count - it is not like this ruling introduced any new requirements that would make only newly logged time applicable.

What I mean is, this change becomes active on July 27th.

You are correct that all previous time counts, if it wasn't intended that way, it would be specified as "Training obtained after July 27th...."

I bring this up because someone might go to a DPE in the next few weeks and not realize this isn't in effect yet.

Archived