Exhaust noise

Gryphon

I have a new CTLSi 38 hours and as I was warming the engine up the left Dynon went on the blink. It lost contact with all the sensors. That I have now fixed by re configuring it, but a few minutes after the Dynon went wrong the engine changed note. It very much sounds like there is a hole in the exhaust or the baffle's inside has collapsed. It makes like a throaty, much deeper sound, the engine changed note suddenly. I started the engine a couple of times since I fixed the Dynon. Everything is in the green and reacts normally, but the throaty exhaust noise is still there. I have taken the cowls off and the end pipe, and what I can see it looks perfect as it should be after only 38 hours, bolts are tight, springs all in place,   

Has any one any ideas on what might have gone wrong please ? Thanks, John.

Yes I was wearing my noise cancelling Bose A20 headsets, I have just checked the batteries they read 1.41 volts new batteries I tested were 1.48, so down a bit but not flat, green light still flashing the noise cancelling switch was still on. The passenger I had said it sounded like a tractor !

11 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Does it require a separate switch to be turned on to be active?

If the A20's are pluged in they are powered provided all is in working order with the plane and the plugs.  They are supposed to work and they do in Larry's CTLSi.

I would check that they are plugged into the correct side and check the audio panel for proper set up.  If there is another set of headset's, one might try them also to eliminate a bad headset. As I recall one of the buttons on the audio panel needs to be pushed in to operate.

2 hours ago, Duane Jefts said:

As I recall one of the buttons on the audio panel needs to be pushed in to operate.

For the PS Engineering intercom, "pushed in" with an adjacent green light illuminated.

Check carefully (preferably with magnifier) for exhaust cracks.  When I had a broken exhaust pipe, other people outside the airplane said "your CT sounds different".  I shrugged it off and then found a complete pipe break two hours later (1400nm from home!).

Archived