FAA SPECIAL AIRWORTHINESS

Roger Lee

Roger: That is good information. Many eons ago while earning a living in RF-4C Phantoms we were rudder flyers, but as I recall McDonnell test guys who visited the field emphasized the application of control inputs had to be smooth. The point was that slamming rudders around (stop to stop particularly) could easily over stress the aircraft. There were a few cses of F-4 rudders being damaged severely by such treatment--the test pilots took great pains to show the field that smooth applications would allow superior combat maneuvering.

In the CT you can see the difference easily as snapping the rudder hard over will cause the nose to rise and with the induced skid, airspeed bleed off rapidly. On the other hand if the control input is smooth (translate steady) to the stop the aerodynamic effects may be the same, but it wil be a more stable, with minimal nose rise and with less airspeed loss. I know there is damn little correlation between an F-4 and a CT, but I have remained a smooth rudder guy, also if and when you get into a patch of rough weather, good rudded discipline certainly reduces the stress on the airplane.

My 2 cents, Ken Nolde, N840KN

Ken and Tony, guess you both flew in either the Navy, Marines or Air Force?. Thanks for your service to our country. Ken, one winter in the early '70's, a bunch of buddies packed up our dirt bikes on a trailer and pulled these from Michigan to Las Vegas to ride in the dessert. We stopped by Nellis to watch my friend and others practicing flying their F-4's. Jerry knew we were watching him and he and his buddies put on quite a show for us. I will never forget setting on a rise by Nellis watching this air show. I've always kept the F-4 at the top of my list for all-time coolest aircraft. One thought, how do you use "smooth applications of rudder" when you're being chased by MIGs and avoiding SAMs??

Archived