Handiflight around the world with 2 CTLS

orion

Dear CT's friends,

Handiflight Around the World is a joint project for the benefit of Humanity & Inclusion (Hi) supported by Lions Clubs International and set up by about twenty aviators, most of them paraplegic. They will fly around the world to promote the inclusion of people with disabilities, to combat discrimination and to raise funds for Humanity & Inclusion (Hi). Aboard two ultra-light planes equipped with hand controls, they will cover 80'000 km in 9 months, mostly flying alone. Their route will take them across 40 countries and 6 continents via 150 staging points, where we hope they will be the guests of local Lions clubs. The support team consists of former members of the Solar Impulse project, all volunteers.

Have a look on this video how the pilot controls the rudder without the use of his legs for the takeoff and landing...

Follow us on Facebook and please share

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Must be a great feeling to be physically challenged and able to pilot an airplane.  Watching the video I believe that the throttle is not modified?  Wonder if there might be a possibility for moving the throttle to the rudder handle?  Maybe like a twist grip on a motorcycle?  One hand on the control stick controls pitch and bank and the other hand controls rudder/throttle.  Wishing a safe and successful flight to the participants.

Am wondering if the stick could be engineered to also do the rudder (twist left and right).   Obviously this would take some good engineering to allow light force to be applied and get the yaw action.    I think some joysticks for home Flight Simulators do this.  

7 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I wish these guys well on their flights!  I'm curious what survival and other gear and fuel provisions they are taking, especially for the long over-water flights.    

They will be using the same  auxiliary fuel tanks used for the 2010 trip..  After crossing the Pacific, (solo)  the tanks ( 3 planes ) will be ship from Chile to me in Québec, for reinstallation (August) for the Atlantic crossing .

Scroll down that page https://franx.aero/sonderanfertigungen-en-1.html  for info on the tanks.

as for survival gear,  as Orion mentionned in the first post,,,,''  The support team consists of former members of the Solar Impulse project, all volunteers. ''   The Facebook page has some info on this too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I share the sadness expressed by others here and add my condolences to family and friends. 

Duane, Cluemeister; I don't see this as a problem with wires. From the video the approach looks steep enough to avoid them. It looks like the aircraft may have crossed over the end of the field before departing from a stable approach. At that point he is certainly well inside the high-tension power lines and probably inside the railway wires as well.

Mike Koerner

From the wiki report:  "It has been reported that several broken power cables were found in the vicinity and it is believed that the aircraft struck these before crashing and being engulfed in flames. "   Now that information certainly could be wrong.  

It does look like from this snapshot of the video that he made a pronounced turn at this  point.  Did he catch his landing gear on the wires?

Certainly not judging, hope it doesn't read that way.

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 10.35.09 PM.png

Thanks Cluemeister.

The 4 in the foreground normally means there's 4000 feet of runway remaining in that direction. It sure looks like he's closer than that. The camera is zoomed in though, so maybe it's an illusion resulting from that.

Obviously I"m wrong anyway. There's no arguing with broken wires.

Mike Koerner

Archived