Fuel caps

Al Downs

Who has the secret to fixing leaking fuel caps? I have replace both the large and small o rings and tried adjusting several times but still they leak. Short of not filling the tanks so  full I don't know what else to do.

Make sure the cap itself is leaking and not the ring of epoxy holding the filler / cap threads into the wing.  It's a known issue that over time the epoxy degrades and fuel can seep through.  The repair Roger Lee has suggested is to Dremel down a few millimeters into the epoxy (don't remove it all!) and lay in a new layer of epoxy to seal it back up.  

I'm sure he'll chime in shortly with details.

3 minutes ago, Al Downs said:

I checked several times and it  is  not  the  seal around the ring. This is happening on all  4  CTLS's we have and it is  worse on some.

That's weird.  Are the vent tubes clear?  Also, do you fill the tanks all the way up?  I have one gear leg that sits a little higher than the other, if I fill the tanks completely fuel *will* slosh out of the vent onto the top of my right wing.  Oh, but you said CTLS, so you have wingtip vents.  

Andy, I used a fuel resistant JB Weld. I used a scraper and pick to remove the softened and damages old epoxy. I then taped off the inner and outer diameter of where I wanted the sealant. Make sure to leave a tail for pulling the tape.I let the JB Weld blow into the groove. I pulled the tape when it started to set up, but before it had really cured. I thought it looked really nice when finished.

1 hour ago, Tom Baker said:

Andy, I used a fuel resistant JB Weld. I used a scraper and pick to remove the softened and damages old epoxy. I then taped off the inner and outer diameter of where I wanted the sealant. Make sure to leave a tail for pulling the tape.I let the JB Weld blow into the groove. I pulled the tape when it started to set up, but before it had really cured. I thought it looked really nice when finished.

That’s what I thought aboit using, but was afraid it might be too stiff and not flex enough.  Good thing is it’s cheap and easy to replace...

I use my Dremel tool with a small round tip bit. Go around the outside edge of the cap and down about 1/8". There is a small shelf like protrusion there. Then clean with lacquer thinner and pour the open gap around the cap with the epoxy or your JB weld.. The small round bit makes short work of the removal job.

p.s.

Most people think fuel around the cap is a leaking cap, but more times than not it's just the vent tube.

6 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Most people think fuel around the cap is a leaking cap, but more times than not it's just the vent tube.

I will never forget one morning in Oregon flying with you and dozens of other CTs.  As I looked across the group of airborne (mostly) CTSWs I was amazed at the rainbow that came each time one of them banked for a turn.  3 or 4 rainbows at once, continuous color as long as the group was there, backbit and maneuvering even gently.

My point is with full fuel the whole fleet was venting away fuel at every little turn.  Maybe the CTLS isn't as bad but I think its about flat tanks and sloppy turns. Since we can't see our noses there are a lot of sloppy turns with our adverse yaw prone planes.

I did a research project back in late 2007 on the uneven flow on the wing tanks and changed out the vent tube to see if pressure had any affect. It didn't, but I never ever had any fuel come from the vent tube again in all my years. I originally only put these on for a test, but the side affect was no more vent tube leaks. So I kept them. You can buy some aluminum or stainless steel tubing from Ace Aviation. Then just bend it with a small handheld tubing bender. I then threaded the end so it would screw into the cap hole and use the nut to secure it. Worked very well all its life. They are about 5" tall.

Fuel cap vent 1.jpg

Fuel cap vent.jpg

11 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

I will never forget one morning in Oregon flying with you and dozens of other CTs.  As I looked across the group of airborne (mostly) CTSWs I was amazed at the rainbow that came each time one of them banked for a turn.  3 or 4 rainbows at once, continuous color as long as the group was there, backbit and maneuvering even gently.

My point is with full fuel the whole fleet was venting away fuel at every little turn.  Maybe the CTLS isn't as bad but I think its about flat tanks and sloppy turns. Since we can't see our noses there are a lot of sloppy turns with our adverse yaw prone planes.

Does anyone know if the CTLS does this?

7 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

The CTLS vents are out on the wing tips and higher than an SW.

Isn't the tip the worst place for sloshing?  The root location would minimize while the wing tip location should amplify the amount of fuel lost.  The additional height is easily negated at the wing tip.

One disadvantage of the "Pitot" style vent is water induction in rain. The little bonnets on top of our fuel cap vents inhibit this as the air can make the sudden turn up and into the tank but water with its higher density, mass and inertia can't.

Similarly, the Pitot vents will inhale more sand, bugs and dirt.

Mike Koerner

Archived