headset hanger

ls6pilot

On the wing posts (there's certainly a proper name for them) that protrude on each side above your head and between each door and the windscreen. I put mine (pilot's) on the co-pilots side since I mostly fly single pilot. That way it stays out of my way when I ingress and egress the plane.

I made some hangars a few years ago.  I posted these pics a while ago too.   The spar pins work well but by hanging on the bulkhead, the headsets remain out of the way and prevent one from pulling the headsets off of the spar pins when you enter/exit the cockpit.

headset hangers_closeup_email.jpg

headset hangers3_email.jpg

DIck,

I agree. That looks great. Please do tell us more.

I have mine hanging in the same place but I drilled through the bulkhead and used a nylon threaded fastener (bolt) with nuts and washers on both sides so the head of the bolt stands off the bulkhead as a hanger. But it sags and the headsets fall off.

Mike Koerner

I bought a couple of 3M Command hangars and modified them.  I just looked for the type of hangar I used but don't see them online or in the stores.  I don't think 3m still sells these?  These are just a 3/4" diameter ball.  The "Command" hangars seem to be really secure and have not fallen off in over 3 years.  I drilled a small hole at the top of the hangar plate and made a wire "keeper" for the rubber band.  The band pushes thru the hole at the top and is then secured by the hidden "keeper" on the back side.  It allows the band to be removed easily when it wears out.  I put the screw into the ball to hook the rubber band.  This is an older picture.  I now use Bose A20 headsets which have wider head bands and don't really hang well with these hangars.  Perhaps a deeper Command hanger of the right size to hang the wider top of a Bose headset?  Or, I might make a new version of this using a deeper hanger which could be fastened to an aluminum plate.  Then, the plate would be hung using 3M Command strips.  Or, do as Mike did and drill a small hole in the bulkhead to hang it?

Yup. That's it.  It works OK for stiff headbands like on the older headsets but not too well for soft & wider headbands.  Also, it will pop off is someone lifts up on the headset while unhooking the band.  It just pops back on to the base if this happens. Might put a small screw into it to prevent this.  For the wider/soft headbands, maybe a deeper Command type hook?

Archived