LSA rules changing??

sandpiper

8 hours ago, sandpiper said:

It's hard to find specs on the LE. One article alludes to the wing being beefed up, another says the only change allowing the 1500# is that it has to be a Public Aircraft. So far I haven't found anything about the BRS except that it has one.

I think it is the same airplane except for hard points added to the wing for camera mounts.

39 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

To my knowledge the LE is the same construction as the plain LS.

Seems if FD is okay with 1500lb for the LE, they should be okay with the same weight for the LS. Though I think LE airplanes don't have to meet normal ASTM specs.  Because physics don't affect police.  ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Seems if FD is okay with 1500lb for the LE, they should be okay with the same weight for the LS. Though I think LE airplanes don't have to meet normal ASTM specs.  Because physics don't affect police.  ?‍♂️

Actually I think they are built to ASTM standards, and have a airworthiness certificate in the special light sport category. If they are true public use the FAR's don't apply to them like they do the rest of us.

13 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

After I talked to a company rep. back in 2007 I have never worried up to 1500 lbs. The two Swiss guys flew around the world in all kinds of weather at 1645 lbs.

I’d be up for that...1645lb gross would give me a CT with 900lb useful load, or 695 with full fuel!  

4 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I’d be up for that...1645lb gross would give me a CT with 900lb useful load, or 695 with full fuel!  

That would be tough to take but I would be surprised (pleasantly) if FD allowed it. They would have to do a lot of performance testing and write new ops manuals plus who knows what else. Approving the Swiss 1645# for around the world into all sorts of weather says volumes about the airplane. Approving 1500# would be just fine as it would give me a usefull equal to my empty weight.

We should be able to convert to ELSA and establish a higher gross. Sounds easy but I am sure there are obstacles in the way.?

8 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Why worry or even speculate. It's at least two years away. Andy will be in an Old folks home by then. ??

D’oh!  ??

While the proposed increase to LSA MTOW is interesting (especially for those of us who fly heavier aircraft - namely me and my Sportcruiser), the 2020 ADS-B mandate is probably a bit more pressing in my mind.

But whatever is decided, it is nice to know (given the above) that Flight Design air frame maximum gross weight limits are likely above what FAA will publish as revised MTOW limits.

2 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

My SW was fine with the weight, but I never dropped mine either. Normal landing will work just fine.  Any gear will crunch on a bad landing.

Not disputing any of that. I have replaced landing gear on both CTSW and CTLS. It is my opinion that the landing gear on the CTLS is better suited for the heavier weight.

1 hour ago, Tom Baker said:

. . .  I have replaced landing gear on both CTSW and CTLS. It is my opinion that the landing gear on the CTLS is better suited for the heavier weight.

Tom,

Can you be a little more specific with some reasons why?

Additionally, it is my understanding, that if gear is damaged due to a hard landing, the LS is more prone to have airfame damage where the gear connects vs. the same for the CTSW. Would you concur with that? 

14 minutes ago, WmInce said:

Tom,

Additionally, it is my understanding, that if gear is damaged due to a hard landing, the LS is more prone to have airfame damage where the gear connects vs. the same for the CTSW. Would you concur with that? 

I agree

1 hour ago, WmInce said:

Tom,

It depends. For certification the standard test is the drop test. For the CTLS I think the failure in this mode will be primarily gear leg failure. I also think the CTLS will stand more weight in this test. If you damage the gear by running it through a ditch or something like that I think it is more likely to damage the mounting structure.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple things. First, I learned at OSH that a mfg in the EU has released a Service Bulletin increasing the GW of their aircraft. It only required changes to placards and POH. It would be really cool if FD could do that to the existing fleet (BRS is an issue). (I don't recall which mfg did this)

Second, the Rotax 915-iS delivers 141 HP all of the way to 15,000' and already has the software to control a CS prop allowing for full FADEC operation. Compare that to an IO-360. 180 HP at sea level, but only 126 at 10,000' vs 141 HP at 10K' from the 915-iS. Phil Lockwood said he is developing a FWF package for the 915 and it is 100 pounds LIGHTER apples-to-apples than the Lycoming install. He said that he doesn't think that there will be a big market for FWF conversions since it is so much lighter. You'd have to mount the engine WAY forward (like a PT6). But, to design new aircraft around this capability would be significant improvement. 

If FD does a 4-place, I'd expect the 915 to power it.

Sid

Archived