The Future of Class III Medicals??

airhound

I read about two feet of today's AvWeb posts which covered a waterfront of current market LSA thought. The actual subject was speculation about the PIPER disvesture of the PiperSport. However, many of the posts cited the FAA possibly doing away with Third Class Medicals. :lol: YAHOOOO! Anyone care to guess if this will happen within a year or two? :)

Wow! the lights just dimmed. I guess 200+ of us spooled up at the same time...Wonder how many of us would welcome access to the older GA SEL aircraft?

Station Wagons! There would be more partnering especially when 4 place CTs enter the scene. Dang, or for us less endowed, there are those old RVs...I know 8-10 gallons an hour...but at a fraction of the price that can go for gas and you're going somewhere. Pile On!!

How about a set of privileges that allow a PPL with driver lic to fly day time VFR in a non complex, non high performance four place with a weight limit of 3000#. This would open up the door for birds like 172's and PA28's which require no more physical capabilities than LSA. Third class meds still required for the high speed retracts, multi engine etc. A PPL with expired med (like me) could keep his (my) CT for most of his flying (and fun) and rent a 172 when he wants to take another couple along for lunch down at Key West.

This would open up the transition step from sport pilot to ppl without med. and then full ppl after a third class exam. Would also open up a good market for four place CT and/or expanded skycatcher.

The enabling concept behind Sport Pilot was less stringent medical requirements for less demanding A/C and flight conditions. This idea is right down that line (a 172 is no more demanding than a CT) and has significant merit concerning easy entry and upgrading to expand pilot base and making personal flying more available and affordable.

ps; No need the “establishment” to back down on LSA definition

Archived