DPE in/near Connecticut for private pilot exam in CTLS?

EFB

Help!  I own a 2009 CTLS.  I am a student pilot.  I am ready to take the private pilot checkride now.  I am looking to schedule an exam but I am not having any luck finding a DPE who will conduct the private pilot exam in a CTLS.  I’ve taken and passed the written exam, I have filled out my 8710, my instructor has signed me off to take the exam, etc.  I did not realize that finding a DPE would be an issue.  But it is.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thank you in advance for your help.  

AGLyme, Tom Peghiny of Flight Design USA mentioned Tony Debany’s name at some point when I was casually chatting with him. When I contacted Tony he explained he only does Sport Pilot check-rides.  I am hoping to take the private pilot practical exam.  I will call Tom again and see if he has any other thoughts. If he does I will report them here.  

Coppercity - I will look for something local but if I get stumped, I will keep this in mind.  Thank you.

4 hours ago, AGLyme said:

Is Tony the guy out of Brainard?  Anyway, there has to be one around here... great luck, let's meet up one of these days... we are lucky to have a beautiful area to fly around in.

Andrew

Tony is at Danbury. 

Odowneyeng, I don’t see why I should have to rent a plane and get instruction in it and spend time learning how to do steep turns and etc. in it when I own a perfectly good plane that I have been getting instruction in and etc.  I’d prefer to avoid doing that.  But, what you mentioned may well be a logical and expedient solution if I can’t find a DPE who will do the checkride in the CTLS.  But I think I found one in Maine at KSFM (John Gary).

AGLyme, I fly out of Brainard using Premier as my flight school.  They are unaware of anyone.  At first Daryl Smith was willing to consider it but later changed his mind.  From everything I’ve heard he is a good guy, but I have not met him myself.  I talked to Tom Peghiny yesterday, he is going to ping his network and see if he comes up with anything.  I am going to make a few more calls to flight schools in Long Island and New York and see if they know of people.  Within the Windsor Locks FSDO there don’t seem to be any DPE’s willing to do it.  I would like to find someone closer than Maine (KSFM) if I can.  I’ll post more if I learn more.  

SlingPilot: I think there are few DPEs in my FSDO to begin with (Windsor Locks FSDO) and most (all?) DPEs are not going to give a checkride in a plane they don’t have experience flying.  And I guess most DPEs have not flown the CTLS.  I am no expert here but I guess this is the issue.  What does “OP” stand for in your comment?  I am curious.  

OP=original poster.

Maybe you could offer to have your instructor fly with the DPE to get them up to speed in the airplane.

It seems most old school pilots look at airplanes like the CTLS as a second class airplane, that is until they actually get a chance to fly one. Before the DPE I used retired he was disappointed if he showed up for a checkride and it was in my Warrior instead of the CT.

Tom, this was exactly the original plan (have instructor fly with DPE, offer to pay for DPEs extra time associated with this).  Maybe due to too few DPEs in my FSDO, neither of the 2 DPEs my flight school deals with were interested in doing this.  They were too busy with other things to consider it within the next 2 months, at least.  Maybe my flight school needs to cultivate better relationships with DPEs, or maybe it needs to start looking outside to other FSDOs?  I don’t know.  

At any rate, my problem is now solved as I talked to John Gary in Maine at KSFM yesterday, and I am scheduled for Sept. 1, weather permitting of course.  Hopefully I pass!  Thank you to everyone who commented.  Best wishes to all and happy flying!

Glad it worked out EFB... my instructor in Chester wants to get checked out in the new CTLS when it arrives so he can refresh my skills from time to time.  There is a new Kappa at the airport and I think its bookings are pretty steady for instruction.  So, hopefully there is a trend starting up her in New England and perhaps more instructors will get their feet wet in LSA's.  Went flying with a pal today in his Arrow up near Millbrook NY (great lunch) and went for ice cream at Block Island.  I learned Flight Following, what a great way to travel. 

My CFII is retired from the FAA. He explained the issues of giving Check Rides in Planes other than those from his own school.

(1) If he gave a check ride in a students plane and then at a later date the student had an accident. He would be one of the first to be contacted by FAA. He would be asked to explain if and how he checked that planes paperwork for all ADs compliance and inspections done and if they were up to date. If he missed something he is in for a hefty fine.

(2) Last mechanic to work on it, would be next to have his feet put to the fire

For him it is better to go with a known in house Aircraft.

He enjoys flying my CTSW 

He has no more issues with LSAs than certified aircraft. 

If individual cracked up his own plane later, the CFII is off the hook. That has happened I know.

He can say I gave the review or check ride in my own plane, End of Questioning.

And that my friends is how it was explained to me.

On 8/9/2018 at 5:11 PM, EFB said:

SlingPilot: I think there are few DPEs in my FSDO to begin with (Windsor Locks FSDO) and most (all?) DPEs are not going to give a checkride in a plane they don’t have experience flying.  And I guess most DPEs have not flown the CTLS.  I am no expert here but I guess this is the issue.  What does “OP” stand for in your comment?  I am curious.  

“OP” Original Poster. 

Bottomline, no DPE, the FSDO will need to schedule your check ride with one of their examiners. While they nowadays defer to DPE’s, they still can do checkrides. And if they do it, it’s FREE!

Odowneyeng, questions for you:  I am under the impression that there are no ADs for the Flight Design CTLS, so checking compliance with them should be really easy.  Am I correct?  (Honest question, I am looking to learn here.)  I was told that the FAA can issue ADs for light sport aircraft, but they generally do not, unless it is an extremely unusual situation and they don't trust the manufacturer to issue safety directives (SDs) and service bulletins (SBs).  

Are there any component ADs for the CTLS?  I guess that might depend on what you have installed?  Do you know how I would find that out?  

By the way, I don't understand your points (1) and (2).  Many people take on potential liability for many things, for instance, surgeons.  It seems like you would get the right insurance and charge enough of a premium to pay for that insurance, and move forward, if you were actually in the business of conducting check rides.  

SlingPilot: I understand your point but I think I want to avoid interacting with the FAA any more than is legally required...  

There is an AD that applies to the ELT in some of the CT's. I am not aware of any others, but as you said there could be one on a piece of equipment. There are no AD's issued against Flight Design. There are however Safety Directives issued by the manufacturer that carry the same legal weight as an AD issued by the FAA.

There is no reason to fear the FAA. You should be able to pass your ride with them just the same as with a DPE. BTW, in my 35+ years working in aviation my experiences have been mostly positive.

• 1 month later...

@Tom Baker I do encourage you to do some descending unloaded turns,  even base to final overshoot preventing turns.  You are negating good emergency technique for a false concern.

I can get 3gs with 0* bank or I can get 0-1g with 90* bank.  Bank isn't adding stress the stress at higher bank comes from the stab attempting to maintain altitude in that bank.

Certainly the rudder can introduce forces too but not big like the stab.

So, EFB, did you find someone? You left us hanging my friend. Also, your last reply to me regarding the FAA examiner givin you your check ride, IMO, is a little short sighted. If in fact you can’t find any DPE to check you out in your plane. 

I hope by by this time you have your PPL in hand and are enjoying your plane. 

Yes, SlingPilot, thank you for asking.  I flew with John Gary out of KSFM on Sept. 1.  I thought I flew extremely poorly as I was too nervous.  But somehow I passed, for which I am truly grateful. So I do have my private pilot certificate in hand now.  In fact, the official one arrived in the mail this week.  

1 hour ago, EFB said:

Yes, SlingPilot, thank you for asking.  I flew with John Gary out of KSFM on Sept. 1.  I thought I flew extremely poorly as I was too nervous.  But somehow I passed, for which I am truly grateful. So I do have my private pilot certificate in hand now.  In fact, the official one arrived in the mail this week.  

Wonderful news! Good to hear, may you enjoy many safe hours of flying your bird.

Archived