Tantalizing new engines

Roger Lee

Just to throw out some fun stuff Rotax is now working on a 916 engine rated at 180 HP and a new 6 cyl. rated up somewhere around 240 hp. The new 6 cyl. is only longer by one cyl. length over the 912, but I think we're looking at years down the road for the 6.

Definitely not LSA. Pretty soon in a few Rotax will be everywhere and with the new technology over the old Continental's and Lycoming's they will storm the market. Water cooled, fuel injected and turbo. Who would want a loose tolerance, oil using, magneto, need major work before TBO engine, not to mention an engine 100+ lbs lighter.

8 minutes ago, S3flyer said:

I dunno.  If we're talking new Part 23 aircraft then an extra $10K is a very small percent increase.  Also, this amounts to around $65/month if you assume a 2000hr over 15 year TBO.

38% more is significant.  You have to look at what benefit it's providing for that $10k, not just the monthly cost.  I don't want to spend $65/month on something that will buy me a knot or two, or increase my climb 50fpm.  Benefit per dollar is the real question, and we don't know the answer yet.

38% increase in engine cost but only 3% increase in total airplane cost assuming $345K for a new Tecnam P2010.  Benefits are unknown other than what Roger hypothesized.   Given Rotax's track record, I'm sure we could count on at least 100lbs in increased useful load which could tip the scales for some.

That’s awesome. Rotax engines are far more advanced than the competition and I would favor them hands down all things being equal. I guess that means mogas as well prescribed for these planes. Which probably presents a logistical problem unless more airports start offering the fuel in the right octane. Tried to see if this could be done at my home airport and hit a wall of red tape. Dealing with a few jugs is not a big deal with a fuel sipping LSA but probably not as practical with bigger horsepower planes with large fuel tanks. 

For certified planes ,10% may mean nothing but there are only 1000 or so certified planes being sold every year , and Rotax can only hope to capture part of that market. If they price these new engines at the point where their engines become too expensive for ( revised ) LSA and experimental markets , well they won’t sell too many of these ..

23 minutes ago, Warmi said:

For certified planes ,10% may mean nothing but there are only 1000 or so certified planes being sold every year , and Rotax can only hope to capture part of that market. If they price these new engines at the point where their engines become too expensive for ( revised ) LSA and experimental markets , well they won’t sell too many of these ..

They also sell a lot of engines to the military for drones, so some of that might be in their thinking too.

915iS is just about perfect for high altitude drone flights, and the military doesn't really care what it costs.

Archived