Checklist Question

Garrett Gee

Hey Guys and Gals,

As some may be aware, I recently purchased a 2010 CTLS (N970CT) from a forum member, and have been very happy with it so far.  I did a checkout flight with Tom from Airtime Aviation, and got the basics down, particularly landings (coming from Cessna and Diamonds, the sight picture is really throwing me off).  Got familiar with the Dynons on the 2.5 hour flight home, and once home, I read through the AOI and checklists.  I have run across one item in the checklists that I can't find mentioned anywhere else in the AOI, nor really in the maintenance manual, and would like some guidance on what it is.  In my AOI, the preflight cabin checklist mentions Main Pins ... Inserted, Caps in Place and Secured.  What is meant by Main Pins?  I can not find a reference to this anywhere else in the AOI.  I feel really silly asking this, as it is probably something simple.

Otherwise though, I love the aircraft the little bit I have flown it.  Plan to do something over Labor Day weekend, but not sure what yet.  This is my first aircraft purchased, and so far I am loving the CTLS.  Good speed at good fuel burns.  Averaged about 22 NM/Gal on the way home (I did have a little bit of a tail wind though).

Thanks for the insight, and any other tips are welcome!  I am working on making a checklist from the manual that incorporates my "flows".

Gee

6 minutes ago, Anticept said:

Main pins are the spar pins above you. They look sort of like handles. Caps go on the other side of them and have a screw through them.

Thanks Anticept. That’s what I was kind of thinking, but really wasn’t sure. Clears things up. Appreciate the help!

Gee

The ideal place

to hang up your headset. Assuming that they are positioned ok. Just grab hold and give them a shake as part of the preflight procedure, if they move do something about it otherwise continue with the pre takeoff checks.  

1 hour ago, ct9000 said:

The ideal place

to hang up your headset. Assuming that they are positioned ok. Just grab hold and give them a shake as part of the preflight procedure, if they move do something about it otherwise continue with the pre takeoff checks.  

Just be careful, it's very easy to scratch the inside of the windshield when putting up or taking down your headsets from that position.  The inside of my windshield as a bunch of scratches in it at the level of the pins from the previous owner doing this without taking care.  I just lay the headsets in the seats when they are not in use.  

12 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Just be careful, it's very easy to scratch the inside of the windshield when putting up or taking down your headsets from that position.  The inside of my windshield as a bunch of scratches in it at the level of the pins from the previous owner doing this without taking care.  I just lay the headsets in the seats when they are not in use.  

Thanks for that.  I have a tenancy to hang them on the back of the seat, or lay them in the seat next to me as well.  I don't leave my headset in the plane, as I use it for my job flight instructing, so I bounce between several planes in a day.

Archived