iaw4

adding autopilot to ctsw?

dear experts---how much should it cost for a shop to install a vizion into a ctsw that does not have an autopilot at the moment, but does have dual dynon 7", and an aera (to be master!) ?

regards,

/iaw

I can't give you a good answer, but will give you my best guess. The current price of the Vizion is $2,100. This will include mounts for the CTSW and most of what is needed for the installation. You will also need wiring, switch, circuit breaker, bushings, and fiberglass material which your installer would provide. You will need a MRA (form at Flight Design website) which you can fill out online an email to Flight Design support. You should get approval in a couple of days. Current cost is $65. Included with the approved MRA will be a packet of drawings detailing how the tunnel and floor under the pilot's seat need to be reinforced. An old rule of thumb is whatever your material costs are, the labor will be about the same. This would put the total cost in the neighborhood of $4-5,000. Consider this as just a budget number. Your best bet would be to go to whoever you are going to do the installation (preferably someone who has done this before), and get a real number. 

I had a Digiflight IIVS installed by Lockwood, one of the most expensive shops around ($98/hr labor rate currently).  I don't remember what the exact cost of the AP install was, but they did that install, and an extensive annual fixing several minor problems.  Total cost was about $1600, my recollection is the AP install was about $900.  If somebody is charging you $2k for just labor, I think you're not getting a good deal at all.