Getting ready to do my hose job! Couple questions??

Buckaroo

For the experts! My IA and I are getting ready to do the five year rubber replacement. I have my new parts fromLockwood and a invoice of those parts. 

Can you nice folks look my parts and tools over and advise me as to what I still need to order and have ready for the job? I know there’s some carb parts and fuel tubes etc but it would really be cool not to get stuck without a special tool or part! 

Thanks so much!!

8B17B318-F0F9-48B3-B6C0-9FA7E7DECF80.jpeg

E3EE4362-816A-4BD0-871B-59B081B1C778.jpeg

339647D1-2C10-43C0-9D2E-4B543F443D0B.jpeg

FA5ADA5D-11EA-4A96-83E3-3AEE0D525A91.jpeg

Send the fire sleeve back. You use what's on the hose now. You don't need to replace the fire sleeve and it's expensive just to keep it around.

A must have is a Dremel tool with at least 4 reinforced cutoff blades. Use the standard ones of 1 1/4". Don't buy the big 2.5" snap on type. Use use the Dremel and blades later to so I would buy a pack of 20. You'll use this tool to cut off all the Oetiker and band-it clamps that are on there now plus any if you mess one up.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_22?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dremel+426b+20+piece+1-1%2F4-inch+reinforced+rotary+tool+cut-off+wheels&sprefix=dremel+tool+reinforced%2Caps%2C218&crid=15UTRWXPTSF4I

These two things I don't see;  carb diaphragms,. "O" rings for the carb socket flange (x2).

Remember I said buy fuel hose locally. you paid $2.95 ft. & $4.95 ft. and at Orielly's it would have been around $1.25 ft.

You can reuse the fuel injection screw clamps on the oil hoses.

You'll need CEET 2 ft. of 1.75" and 3 ft. of 3" for the air intakes and the cabin heat. From Aircraft Spruce. It comes in foot sections.

Go to Ace Aviation and buy about 6 3/8" black rubber stoppers. This will make spilling oil all over a much smaller mess. As soon as you pull the hose put a stopper in it and or the fitting it came off of.

I use 12" long needle nose pliers a lot and I put small slots in the jaws about 4 on each side so they will grip and not slip. I have to use them on hose occasionally and I use them a lot on muffler springs. You can put 3 slots in a set of regular pliers and use them for taking off the spring clamps. The spring clamp ends fit right in the slots you cut across the jaws and don't let them slip out. If the jaws are smooth a have shot these clamps across the entire hangar and lucky it wasn't coming at my face. Another use for the Dremel with cutoff blades.

18 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Send the fire sleeve back. You use what's on the hose now. You don't need to replace the fire sleeve and it's expensive just to keep it around.

A must have is a Dremel tool with at least 4 reinforced cutoff blades. Use the standard ones of 1 1/4". Don't buy the big 2.5" snap on type. Use use the Dremel and blades later to so I would buy a pack of 20. You'll use this tool to cut off all the Oetiker and band-it clamps that are on there now plus any if you mess one up.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_22?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dremel+426b+20+piece+1-1%2F4-inch+reinforced+rotary+tool+cut-off+wheels&sprefix=dremel+tool+reinforced%2Caps%2C218&crid=15UTRWXPTSF4I

These two things I don't see;  carb diaphragms,. "O" rings for the carb socket flange (x2).

Remember I said buy fuel hose locally. you paid $2.95 ft. & $4.95 ft. and at Orielly's it would have been around $1.25 ft.

You can reuse the fuel injection screw clamps on the oil hoses.

You'll need CEET 2 ft. of 1.75" and 3 ft. of 3" for the air intakes and the cabin heat. From Aircraft Spruce. It comes in foot sections.

Go to Ace Aviation and buy about 6 3/8" black rubber stoppers. This will make spilling oil all over a much smaller mess. As soon as you pull the hose put a stopper in it and or the fitting it came off of.

I use 12" long needle nose pliers a lot and I put small slots in the jaws about 4 on each side so they will grip and not slip. I have to use them on hose occasionally and I use them a lot on muffler springs. You can put 3 slots in a set of regular pliers and use them for taking off the spring clamps. The spring clamp ends fit right in the slots you cut across the jaws and don't let them slip out. If the jaws are smooth a have shot these clamps across the entire hangar and lucky it wasn't coming at my face. Another use for the Dremel with cutoff blades.

Roger you are so generous to share your techniques! I owe for helping me over the last year and a half of my CT experience! I also owe several others like Tom and flyingmonkey as well. 

I just ordered the dremel cut off tool! 

With regards to the carbs should I order new parts with my plane having 780 hours on her?

Carb overhaul kind of depends how old the engine / plane is, how many hours on the engine and when or if the carbs have ever been overhauled.  I forget what year your plane is. Isn't it a 2006 CTSW? If the carbs are 12 years old overhaul them. Then you will not need the lone diaphragms because the overhaul kit comes with them. I have two Dremel tools. My older corded model with the standard straight tip.

I was given another one battery run and I thought what will I do with this. It is one of the most used tool I have especially it's indispensable during a hose change. I did add a 90 degree head on it and I'm glad I did. You can get to more things in tight spots easier.

I used it today on a Remos and because of their oil cooler setup the bracket would go back on under the new fuel pump and nut setup. I used it to grind down the edge of the cooler braket and the new pump and bracket are now compatible.

I use my Dremel all the time. 

8 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Carb overhaul kind of depends how old the engine / plane is, how many hours on the engine and when or if the carbs have ever been overhauled.  I forget what year your plane is. Isn't it a 2006 CTSW? If the carbs are 12 years old overhaul them. Then you will not need the lone diaphragms because the overhaul kit comes with them. I have two Dremel tools. My older corded model with the standard straight tip.

I was given another one battery run and I thought what will I do with this. It is one of the most used tool I have especially it's indispensable during a hose change. I did add a 90 degree head on it and I'm glad I did. You can get to more things in tight spots easier.

I used it today on a Remos and because of their oil cooler setup the bracket would go back on under the new fuel pump and nut setup. I used it to grind down the edge of the cooler braket and the new pump and bracket are now compatible.

I use my Dremel all the time. 

My plane is a 2007 CTSW with 780 hours. I will make sure I have a dremel ready and I’ll order the 90 degree piece. I don’t have much experience with the Bings. If you were me would you send them in to Lockwood or attempt to DIY? I heard the big thing on these are the float swivel brackets. 

8 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

The battery operated Dremel can be purchased at places like Home Depot and the same for the 90 degree head and reinforced cutoff disc.

If you want you can send your carbs to me and I'll overhaul them while you're doing your hose change.

That would be great Roger. We’re looking at later in October when the snow flies. I’ll call you. 

3 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Call anytime.

Thanks Roger! 

Question: My IA’s plan on this work will be to remove a hose replace that hose. He’s reluctant to strip the motor and replace. Seems like a good plan as well. Two things concern me with this project. 1. The engine few inch removal. 2. The wing removal. I can find clear directions of either. Maybe Roger could make a YouTube video!????

All I ever do is replace one hose at a time. I have never stripped the engine.

The engine comes completely off, not just a few inches.

You can call me about the wings or any other part of the rubber change process. There are no written instructions on pulling the wings.

p.s.

Since you brought up wings you will need about 18" of 3/8" ID clear polyvinyl tubing for the new sight tubes you're going to install. Get the thinner OD and not the thick PITB to put on  thick wall. :)

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

All I ever do is replace one hose at a time. I have never stripped the engine.

The engine comes completely off, not just a few inches.

You can call me about the wings or any other part of the rubber change process. There are no written instructions on pulling the wings.

p.s.

Since you brought up wings you will need about 18" of 3/8" ID clear polyvinyl tubing for the new sight tubes you're going to install. Get the thinner OD and not the thick PITB to put on  thick wall. :)

Once again a very generous and special response! Thanks Roger you are a special kind of person! 

Archived