adsb

Al Downs

We are getting close to the deadline. What is the solution for the CTLS? UAvionix on the wingtip won't work and now I have found out that the taillight unit won't work either. Apparently the carbon fibre blocks the wing tip version and makes it unreliable. I tried to install the tail version and the mounting holes are different. The taillight on the CTLS uses angled mounting holes and are further apart than the UAvionix unit. The unit needs to be mounted with the fin on it vertical and using the mounting holes would have it a about a 41 degree angle. They have no plans on revising the mounting bracket to make it work.

I have one I was going to test for them but now I need to start looking at something else.

I need to do this, too.  is there a "best-practice" solution for most CTSWs at the moment?

I figure the stratus 3 is good for ads-b in. 

I would hate to have to go garmin for ads-b out (suit against ua).  are there other good alternatives?  skyguard?  anything?

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:51 AM, Al Downs said:

We are getting close to the deadline. What is the solution for the CTLS? UAvionix on the wingtip won't work and now I have found out that the taillight unit won't work either. Apparently the carbon fibre blocks the wing tip version and makes it unreliable. I tried to install the tail version and the mounting holes are different. The taillight on the CTLS uses angled mounting holes and are further apart than the UAvionix unit. The unit needs to be mounted with the fin on it vertical and using the mounting holes would have it a about a 41 degree angle. They have no plans on revising the mounting bracket to make it work.

I have one I was going to test for them but now I need to start looking at something else.

Make an adapter ring out of 1/4" aluminum. Attach the ring to the existing hole with counter sunk screws, then attach it to the adapter in a vertical position.

Installation differences.  You'll need to install 2 new antennae with the Skyguard while the GDL-82 will reuse the existing transponder antenna (both will need a GPS antenna).  I'd guess this would make the installation costs for the Skyguard a bit more than the Garmin.

I trust everything sold these days is 2020 compliant, too.  correct?  on their website it says

“Meets Performance Requirements” of TSO-C154c and FAR 91.227 for 1/1/2020 mandate when installed in Experimental and LSA aircraft

(per February 9, 2015 rule change to 14 CFR 91.225 (b)(1)(ii))
(Installation in LSA aircraft needs letter of authorization from aircraft manufacturer)

Archived