Glider tape question?

Buckaroo

Do a good job it looks good, smooth and almost unnoticeable. Put on correctly it doesn't crack or split. It keeps water and cold air out of the cockpit and from entering other spaces on the fuselage. Some of you don't like it because you don't know how to apply it. You use 2" tape when 1" is good for the entire plane. 2" looks ugly in most places.

• 5 months later...

Hi - we can’t find the lower trim tab tab spec in any of the manuals. Ours has partially departed company with the tail section and we’d like to replace it. It has an adhesive strip on the leading edge but is Mylar or something similar with a slight curve along its length to keep the rear in contact with the trim tab. Any ideal on how we can get hold of this? 

1) Wings & wheels, a US sailplane parts supplier, carries several solutions for sealing control surfaces including mylar strips and 2-sided transfer tape or anti-peel safety tape that allows you to attach one edge of the mylar to the aircraft while the other rubs against the control surface.

2) Sailplanes use control surface seals like this all the time as they reduce drag by eliminating airflow across the hinge gap. You may be able to find a sailplane supply house closer to you, at least on your east coast, that carries the same thing.

3) I will let others, with more experience than I, address the question of whether a mylar seal on the elevator trim tab is normal. I just put a wide strip of tape across the top surface of the joint. I apply it with the stabilator in the up position (trim tab down) so that the tape is fully stretched. It is true that in any other position the tape will have a little kink in it, but the trim moves through such a narrow angle I can't believe that's significant.

4) I am very interested in the nature of your original trim tab issue. Did the pin through one of the hinges wear out?

Mike Koerner

Just use the Bowlus 1" tape for everything. This is the same tape as gliders use and it won't hurt your plane. There is no need for 1.5" or 2". I have been using the 1" tape which works just fine for the trim tab top and bottom and the wing root gaps. The glue residue on the tape comes off easily with Goo-Off. $10.75 for a roll that will last you for years. Keep it is an air tight zip lock bag. 

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/bowlus.htm

p.s.

Some tapes used have been known to pull paint off when removed. Don't make things more difficult when KISS is right in front of you.

Bolus looks fine on CTLS if applied straight and smooth as Tom says. Looks a little funky on my 2006 CTSW because of bumpy surface due to hinge pop-rivets but don't have a choice.  Still, if it's done right and maintained, it looks decent on CTSW.

No sweat on your hinge rivets. Lay the tape on the top so the edge of the 1" tape only covers 1/2 of the rivet and this will allow the right amount for the overhang to the other surface. Then take a razor blade and just go around the tape covered 1/2 rivet. Now all the rivet shows. It looks good and no wind can get under the edge of the tape that would have been held up by the rivet. It takes maybe 3-4 minutes to trim the taped rivets.

Archived