Air speed gauge

Al Downs

I have seen many airspeeds like that. This happens when someone blows air into the pitot system and it bends the diaphragm linkage. The other way is when performing the altimeter/encoder correlation the static and pitot pressures were not balanced causing the airspeed to go to far causing the same results. The only solution is to send it in for overhaul.

Happened to mine several years ago when I took it to an avionics shop for the biennial transponder and pitot/static check. They ruined the round airspeed indicator but not the one in the D100. They got to buy me a new one which was just less than $300 at the time.

When I got in the plane to take it home I noticed the indicator showing something like 60K. Glad I caught it before leaving or it may have been on me. It was weird returning to homeplate. According to the indicator we were really moving out but it was the 100K indicated on short final that stood out!! Fortunately the D100 was working properly. Even if it hadn't been, not a problem in these aircraft, especially the CTSW where flaps 30 with the drooped wingtip level with the horizon and throttle closed you will be on speed.

I sent mine in right after I bought my CT for the same reason. It is a cheap instrument and does not have an internal adjustable snubber like TSO intruments. This causes the needle to shake. A VERY small hole in a rivet ( aircraft rivet) installed in the pitot line at the airspeed fitting connection solves the problem.

Archived