Rodney

New Floats from MS

The reason the new floats have the inner brass guide cut back compared to the older style where the brass guide was longer is because the new floats weighed too much. Cutting back the brass guide saved weight. 

• Upvote 1

Why do they have different weight floats, you could adjust the float level with heavier floats

as long as the level in bowl is high enough 1/2 to 2/3 full yes or no?  What if you could shave the

floats enough to to get correct weight on each one? Just out of the box a little. Once the floats

get saturated or whatever happens to them do they continue to get heavy with longer use? I

normally check float level anyway after install of new or old floats just to make sure level

is good.

Why even mess with it. Just use the Bing / Rotax floats from the service centers. They have worked the last few years to get it right. If you have an SLSA and had any type of incident then the carbs will be opened up and the MS floats could land you directly in the line of fire from the FAA and any one you may injure during an incident. This would open you up to liability where using the approved Rotax floats wouldn't. Rotax and Bing have already done all the experimenting and fixing and private owners don't have the tools, instruments or knowledge to play with these. No curb to pull over to in the sky or if severe flooding happened because of these and you caught fire I personally know I'm terrible at writing obituaries. 

The reasons for different floats is because of suppliers.

Manufacturers are bailing out on aviation due to the obscene liability. So Rotax has to continually try to find new suppliers for all sorts of parts.

I understand that some folks are not familiar with type certified aircraft parts manufacturing requirements. MS carb epoxy floats are used in certified aircraft and will amount to hundreds of thousands of carbs, I have one in another certified plane. Making parts for light sport aircraft is easy compared to certified aircraft. Don't rule out MS, they have been making carbs for almost 100 years and almost every carbureted aircraft you see has their carb. Rotax has not exactly had stellar performance with floats lately. As for using their floats in SLSA that's another subject. If Rotax continues to have any more float issues that may cause Rotax to sink a little. 

Madhatter, the MS floats do work fine in type certified aircraft, but that doesn't mean they will work fine in the Rotax. Type certified aircraft also have to use, for the most part, aviation fuel. I know there are STC's for auto fuel, but they specifically prohibit ethanol in the fuel. Rotax is approved for up to 10% ethanol. The ethanol in the fuel is where there is a problem with the MS floats.

I would expect that MS has done a lot of homework on the ethanol issue. I am sure this is not something they overlooked.

I am not offering opinion, I am simply stating what was said in my Rotax recurrent training by the person who heads up training for maintenance of Rotax engines here in North America.

I am sure they want you to use Rotax parts, I would not expect them to endorse competition. I am not against Rotax parts but there are other options for me as I am ELSA. I do a lot of research before I make changes, and many times I can get info directly from the company engineering staff, these are things I used to do for several aerospace companies. I seem to always look for new ideas for improvements, can't help it.