Engine leaking oil after oil change

Andy A

I changed the oil and filter in our 912is about a month ago.  I followed the directions posted on line and in a video I found.  First I burped the engine, then removed the oil plug, then removed the filter.  I did not pre fill the filter, but I did use 3 full liters of oil.  Ever since then, Oil oozes out of the overflow when it sits for a while.  When I check the Oil,  I burp the engine first then check it.  It appears it has been over filled because the oil level is over the flat part of the stick.  It’s really starting to mKe a mess on the underside of the plane too.  Any idea how it got overfilled, when I removed the plug and filter and let it drain until it appeared to be empty?

49 minutes ago, Andy A said:

Any idea how it got overfilled, when I removed the plug and filter and let it drain until it appeared to be empty

• you have to drain both the engine and the oil tank
  • never assume there is zero left and only add new oil till full, not over full

A small amount of oil venting makes a big mess, remove some.  I think I used a turkey baster once.

Andy, you meant that you added "3 full quarts" of oil, not "3 full liters" as your post states.  Correct?  Not sure why you overfilled?  I've used your procedure for my oil changes with no problems.  I do try to "sneak up" on the top of the dipstick flat when filling though.  Add some oil from the 3rd quart, burp, repeat until at the top of the flat.  Ed's idea to use a turkey baster is a good one.  I would do a run up after I think the level is correct to make sure.

The Aeroshell  Sport 4 oil comes in liter bottles. While Rotax states that the capacity is 3 liters that will wind up just as you described. I often add 2 and a half bottles of oil and then check the dipstick. Then add as needed to bring it up to full. Often it is just over 2 and 3/4 bottles to be full. Back when we used quarts 3 quarts was just right.

After a hose change with everything empty on oil it takes more than 3 liters to fill it up.

Aero Shell comers in liters. 3 liters is 8 oz. more than 3 quarts. Use all 3 liters as described in many Rotax publications over the years. If you burp the engine and hear the gurgle continue to rotate the prop several more times. If you quit at the first gurgle then all that is is just a gulp of air and more oil can still flow toward the drain in the engine if you give it a few more turns. Just like a soda straw. When you first hear the air gurgle in the straw all the soda is not out. If you give it a second and re-position the straw many times there is a bit more. Pre-filling the oil filter is best practice. If you do the oil change properly 3 liters will NEVER over fill the engine/tank after the engine has been run and the oil is dispersed through the system.

This isn't a big problem just a messy one and easy to correct.

If you do forget to burp the engine before the oil change or any time the oil is too full which can have it come out the vent tube. Just unscrew the drain plug and just allow a small drool of oil to come out until you get the level down and screw it back in. 

Archived