REMOVING RESUDUE WHEN REPLACING TAPE

I fly a 2008 CTLS. I'm planning on replacing the tape that covers the wing next to the fuselage  However, after removing the tape there is quite a bit of sticky residue. I would appreciate some advice as to the best solvent to remove this sticky substance without harming the wing surface. 

If Bolus tape residue, this is easy to remove as Roger says.  Personally, I use rubbing alcohol for this and to remove exhaust gas stains on the bottom of the fuselage.  My 2006 CTSW had been taped at the joint of the ventral fin and fuselage with a tape that left residue that was crusty and could not be just wiped off.  I used Goof Off, MEK, alcohol, acetone.  Nothing seem to dissolve the residue.  Finally, after soaking overnite with acetone, I was able to scrape off the residue with a razor blade, being careful not to scratch the surface.

7 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Hi Dick,

I wouldn't use MEK or Acetone on our CT's. I haven't found any tape including the old cloth tape and the plastic strip tape that was on the stab that wouldn't come off with Goof Off and some elbow grease.

Cocur . . . that is what I experience.

Goof Off is great stuff.

Some claim it is nothing more than lighter fluid.

Thanks guys.  Appreciate the input on the residue problem... I flew my CTLS to OSH from Boston this year. Camped by the plane.  I hit some turbulence over the Catskill mountains and when I landed i discovered that the wing tape was peeling off.  That was a surprise.  I hope everyone remembers to close the fuel shut off valve after a flight.  I had a bad experience after forgetting to do that. Eventually fuel leaked pass the carbs and into the cylinders and oil reservoir.   What a mess!!  

Believe me Roger.  Whatever was used for tape defied all solvents and rubbing compounds. I tried the hard core stuff because I didn't want to scrape it.  I ended up slightly softening it enough that I could remove with a razor blade. The Bolus leave very little residue that can be easily removed.

A great and safe "solvent" for cleaning epoxy from tools, etc (I built a boat) is good old vinegar.  You probably have some in the kitchen, see if it works.  Nothing more difficult to remove than epoxy.  Vinegar won't harm the plane finish or your health.

7 hours ago, AGLyme said:

A great and safe "solvent" for cleaning epoxy from tools, etc (I built a boat) is good old vinegar.  You probably have some in the kitchen, see if it works.  Nothing more difficult to remove than epoxy.  Vinegar won't harm the plane finish or your health.

Be very careful with anything that is not a neutral Ph. I know vinegar is on the other end of the Ph scale from alkaline cleaners, but I am not sure how it would effect the Rochel foam. Cleaners on the other end of the scale will dissolve the foam.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...