Crossover carb. balance tube/hose

procharger

This has happened several times to me (I have an old post about it: http://ctflier.com/topic/4362-engine-smooth-only-with-carb-heat/?tab=comments#comment-64534).  The first time the vent tube slipped off for me it happened over Lake Michigan with my new-to-flying wife, and I didn’t know what it was.  Felt like the engine was going to shake off the plane until I pulled carb heat back out.  At my wife’s very large eyes, I lied, “no worries, happens all the time.”  After finding the cause (with help from the forum) and reattaching the tube, it happened several more times, until I finally added some tape to the joint in addition to the zip tie.

5 hours ago, procharger said:

I found out yesterday how bad the engine runs with tube off carb.

its runs badly didn't know it would be that bad, anyone else had

this happen?

Do you really mean the crossover balance tube, or do you mean the vent line that goes to the airbox?

5 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

vent line that goes to the airbox?

when my vent line was coming off I knew it in an instant thanks to this forum.  WOT where I do everything but approach and land it runs great but throttle back to descend and it gets quite rough, enough where I would leaven the throttle mostly open for the descent.

2 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

when my vent line was coming off I knew it in an instant thanks to this forum.  WOT where I do everything but approach and land it runs great but throttle back to descend and it gets quite rough, enough where I would leaven the throttle mostly open for the descent.

I know, I have experienced a vent tube coming unhooked.

However the title says balance tube hose. Not really sure how it could come unhooked, but the engine would run rough under that condition as well.

Good idea to add some small tie wraps to cinch the vent hose where it attaches to the carb nipple.  This prevents it from coming detached. My original hose was too stiff to cinch so I spliced in a soft new hose to the stiff part on each side that goes thru the box.  The soft new hose is now securely cinched at the carbs.  Also, add a tie wrap to the vent hose where it enters the airbox on each side of the air box.  This prevents it from shifting side to side and to keep it centered inside the box.

Archived