skyview upgrade?

iaw4

just musing.

is it legal to install a dynon skyview HDX into an older CTSW (perhaps replacing the D100, or the even older steam instruments)?

the HDX costs about $5k, probably another $5k for installation, and it would also make a needed autopilot cheaper.  some more may be recouped by selling the D100.

3 hours ago, Anticept said:

It's permitted with an MRA as S-LSA. It's a lot if work though.

Not really with Flight Design.  Typically I have emailed them, they say "fill out an MRA form" and you pay the filing fee ($75?) And that's it.  Often FD will tell you to not even wait for the MRA approval to go through before starting your install.

Try to install new equipment with Van's or SportCruiser and they will just flat say no.

That said, ELSA is pretty awesome.  The best deal going in aviation for maintenance, IMO.

4 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Not really with Flight Design.  Typically I have emailed them, they say "fill out an MRA form" and you pay the filing fee ($75?) And that's it.  Often FD will tell you to not even wait for the MRA approval to go through before starting your install.

Try to install new equipment with Van's or SportCruiser and they will just flat say no.

That said, ELSA is pretty awesome.  The best deal going in aviation for maintenance, IMO.

The installation is a lot if work. Not the MRA.

The new technology avionics out now is so much easier toi install than 10 years ago. I am going to install all garmin, g3x, g5's, autopilot, etc. The Can Bus data technology is incredible as it talks to and interfaces with all components installed. It used to take many hundreds of solder connections and very complex wiring options to do a full panel of avionics.

Archived