Airplane Taxes

FlyingMonkey

On 11/13/2018 at 2:49 PM, Tom Baker said:

Illinois doesn't have any annual property tax, but they get you for 6.25% of the purchase price up front. If you don't pay it in time they will hit you with penalties. They have people who search the FAA records for new aircraft registration.

Same here in Florida. But it is my understanding, if an airplane upgrade is undertaken, those initial taxes will apply to a new purchase.

13 hours ago, Warmi said:

What’s the other two ? ( asking cause we are planning to get the hell out of IL before this place goes to hell and looking for ideas ...)

That is a post which surely invites a political response.

I do have a suggestion for you, but to keep from starting a spit storm, I shall refrain.?

22 minutes ago, WmInce said:

Same here in Florida. But it is my understanding, if an airplane upgrade is undertaken, those initial taxes will apply to a new purchase.

It is a little trickier here in Illinois. If you buy from a dealer you only have to pay taxes on the difference. I don't think there are any provisions for private trade allowance. If you sell, then buy something else you pay taxes on the whole purchase price of the new aircraft. If you are a registered dealer you can keep an aircraft in inventory for up to 18 months before you have to pay the tax. You can also use the aircraft during that time. If you keep it 18 months you have to pay the tax, if you sell it the next day the new owner has to also pay the tax.

Edited to add: Until out previous crook of a governor Blago, sales of used aircraft from one individual to another was not taxed. I even had the state go after the tax on an airplane purchased before the tax was put in place, because it was registered with the FAA at a later date.

22 minutes ago, WmInce said:

That is a post which surely invites a political response.

I do have a suggestion for you, but to keep from starting a spit storm, I shall refrain.?

Well, politics or not, it is a fact that Illinois is just plain broke with 255 billion in legally binding pension liabilities which is about 50k per family - I mean something is going to give , sooner or later ...

2 hours ago, Warmi said:

Well, politics or not, it is a fact that Illinois is just plain broke with 255 billion in legally binding pension liabilities which is about 50k per family - I mean something is going to give , sooner or later ...

do you think the families should have to pay that?  seems to make them slaves to former employees?

1 hour ago, WmInce said:

We can agree on that. Same goes for California.

People have a choice to avoid those states.

However, if the whole nation moves toward that demise, what is a person to do? Move to another country?

CalPERS is now making noises like they are saved buy a more bullish market.  Of course they are dreaming and counting on double digit returns 

2 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

do you think the families should have to pay that?  seems to make them slaves to former employees?

I mean this is 50k in taxes per very family in IL to cover all these promised pensions- not gonna happen.

11 hours ago, WmInce said:

We can agree on that. Same goes for California.

People have a choice to avoid those states.

However, if the whole nation moves toward that demise, what is a person to do? Move to another country?

reason.com

Ultimately that’s the only answer - I have no problem with places like SF having their own, however unique, way of managing their affairs and as long as we resists temptations of various messianic, federal level efforts aka “universal this or that” - we gonna be fine.

Archived