3 Sierra Nevada Images from my CTSW

Ed Cesnalis

13 minutes ago, ct9000 said:

Ed as I sit here impressed by your photographic skills I was just wondering if you ever worry about having a forced landing if the fan stops, or is it that this great scenery 

fills your mind so you don't need to be concerned. 

I had some forced landings in my youth when flying behind a 2-stroke Rotax.  Most pilots worry about forced landings and I do to, just not too much.

7 hours ago, WmInce said:

Ed,

If you did have an engine failure (in those pictures) and was not within gliding distance of the airport, what would your BRS strategy be?

I once snapped off my left main landing gear, mid strut. Nothing left but a peg-legged strut.  I had a second-chanz chute but elected to land.  Another time I had an engine failure and glided for an unusable field and then landed on a steep slope as opposed to pulling.

My CTSW in one of the photos above isn't enough info.  There are so many scenarios the best of which uses ridge lift to fly home like a glider, next would be a landing that looks survivable to last pulling the chute because I have no better plan.  

When pulling I would be concerned about landing on steep terrain where the slide after the landing would kill me.  In winter, even at night I might just land upslope in the snow and then get out before it back slides.

Don't you love these reliable 912s?

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

. . . . . My first year and 1/2 all my skies were blue because I was afraid of the weather.

Ed, 

That’s a good thing . . . and shows your RESPECT for the weather . . . not necessarily fear.

Glad you said that. In getting all those great shots, we want you to be safe and careful. . . . 😀

Awesome indeed!

You must have taken off at first light to get down there before the sun rose over the Inyo’s.

Backup and pan right a little on the second photo and you might convince the new McCoys to change the background on their ski map.

And the last is Middle Pal and Norman Clyde? 

Mike Koerner

Image result for mammoth map

52 minutes ago, Mike Koerner said:

Awesome indeed!

You must have taken off at first light to get down there before the sun rose over the Inyo’s.

Backup and pan right a little on the second photo and you might convince the new McCoys to change the background on their ski map.

And the last is Middle Pal and Norman Clyde? 

Mike Koerner

Sunrise at Whitney or Death Valley means departing in the dark.  Without a moon it becomes serious buisness.

Condos used to feature a big trail map poster of the fireplace. I do have images that work well for that.

Dave McCoy is 102 and his mountain is owned by a big conglomerate now.

Yes Middle and NCP.

Archived