NEW propeller for CT

Jacques

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

Just talked to E-Prop, the spinner is designed to fit over the cowling. I guess you would have to adjust the engine mount spacer washers to center the spinner.

That is what I had to do, but shimming the engine mount then requires adjusting rudder cable tension. So as always one thing leads to another, and things are not always a simple as they seem.

I installed an E-Props (note proper capitalization, punctuation, and spelling) prop and spinner in July. To my eye, there was insufficient clearance between the spinner and my cowl. I chopped off the portion of the spinner that extended aft of the spinner support plate, about 3/16" all the way around as I recall. I used a cut-off disc on a Dremel tool and a steady hand for a clean, straight edge. This provided about 1/2" clearance, which seems to work fine. I checked with the manufacturer and verified they were OK with this modification.

17 hours ago, Mike Koerner said:

I installed an E-Props (note proper capitalization, punctuation, and spelling) prop and spinner in July. To my eye, there was insufficient clearance between the spinner and my cowl. I chopped off the portion of the spinner that extended aft of the spinner support plate, about 3/16" all the way around as I recall. I used a cut-off disc on a Dremel tool and a steady hand for a clean, straight edge. This provided about 1/2" clearance, which seems to work fine. I checked with the manufacturer and verified they were OK with this modification.

How do you like the prop?  I want to put one on my LSi but of course have to go experimental to legally do it. I found a guy in Florida who can do the inspection and paperwork in half a day. But my insurance company said my premium would double if I went experimental.  FD says the E prop is under review for approval, but no idea when or if it will happen. 

Just remember you didn't cause the accident,  you did the right thing and saved yourself.  Your mechanic caused the accident.  He is lucky you didn't sue him for incompetence.  The FAA doesnt know about him not torquing the prop bolts on the other plane. If it was me I would drop the insurance company after going with another one who would appreciate that fact. Just my opinion.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:17 AM, Tom Baker said:

One thing worth noting on the Eprop installation. If your spinner is not aligned well with the cowling you may need to make adjustment to get it lined up. The one I installed had interference issues with the cowling. I was able to work around the issue, but it was not real easy. 

Agreed, mine has a very tight fit on the right side, it only clears by few mm.  No rubbing, but it could happen at some point.

There is an overhang of the spinner past the hub backplate that causes the issue.  One way to fix it might be to trim the spinner flush with the backplate like the Neuform is.  But then you do have to rebalance it.  I think I will suggest this to the factory, it seems an easy factory fix that could solve similar issues on multiple airplane types.

20 hours ago, Mike Koerner said:

Good to know, you just made my previous post moot (guess I should read the whole thread before replying!).  Thanks!

Jacques, Jim, Bill,

I’m happy with my E-Props. I have over 120 hours since installation, including 2 coast-to-coast round trips, with no problems.

I am pleased with the substantially lighter weight and lower rotational inertia (compared to my 2-blade red Neuform). I believe both will add significantly to gearbox life.

I was a bit worried that the lower inertia would exacerbate kickbacks during failed starts, but I haven’t had any since it was installed, so who cares. (I attribute this to having replaced the battery, not to the prop).

I have not yet repeated my aircraft performance testing, but subjectively, it seems like the plane is performing better. However, this may be the result of a finer pitch on the blades and slightly higher rpms. (It may also be wishfull thinking.)

Madhatter,

This was a surprisingly clean cut. I don’t believe I altered balance measurably.

In hindsight, having read Tom’s comments about shimming the motor mount, I might have tried this first.

Darrell,

You may be right. Trimming the cowling may have made sense too. I don’t know.

Bill,

You do not have to go experimental to install an E-Props. I purchased an MRA from Flight Design USA.

Jacques, Madhatter,

Thank you for originally pointing this product out on the forum and for conducting the supporting performance analysis.

Be careful trimming the cowling. That lip that is in the way is a structural component of the cowling. If you trim it away you will be sacrificing strength.

11 hours ago, Mike Koerner said:

Bill,

You do not have to go experimental to install an E-Props. I purchased an MRA from Flight Design USA.

Mike, sometime back Flight Design USA stopped issuing approvals for the E-Props until they get further guidance from the factory. I hope this is just a temporary thing.

• 1 month later...

The new owner of my old 89WD just installed an E-Prop.  I can say that it is a HUGE improvement over the Warp that was on it before.  Engine is under so much less stress with the lighter prop, starts easier, runs smoother, acceleration is night and day, climb is insane and cruise is VERY impressive.  Only flew a couple laps int he pattern and about 40 mins cruising around the valley.  I didn't collect hard data, but I can say there is defiantly a big benefit going with the E-Prop.  

Not a paid advert, I haven't owned the CT for months and only came back to the forum to drop a short note so any of those considering the move to consider it strongly.  Money well spent.