Engine thrust alignment

Madhatter

3 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Does anyone know if the ctsw cowling is set up for the 2.5 degree offset. I measured the cowling and the left side is 1 3/8 longer than the right.

A couple of years ago, I inquired Flight Design USA regarding that question.

To the best of my knowledge, the CTSW cowling is designed with a right offset of 2.5°.

What’s more, when the prop spinner is centered on the cowling, designed engine droop is approximately -5°.

I was told jigs are used in the construction of the cowlings.

The top of my prop spinner was always pretty even with the top of the cowl. I measured the angle of the engine relative to level point between the seats and came up with 3.5 degrees. I used a level point across two rocker cover bolts. -5 degrees would not look right on the spinner. Of coarse the fuselage level location seems poor so I guess I will stay with what I have. The 2.5 degree lateral offset had been adjusted relative to the center of the cowl opening which apparently is wrong so I will change that. Thanks for the confimation on the cowl.

If you closely inspect the front part of the entire cowl, you will see that the offset (to the right) and the engine droop is built into cowls. The extended portion of left vs. right and up vs. down are not symetrical. It take a keen eye to see it, but it is there. Take a close look sometime.

6 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

The cowling built with the offsets in theory should make the alignment job easier; you should be able to shim the mount until the spinner is centered in the opening with the cowl on and it should be pretty close to correct.

That is what I was told by Dave Armando, former Director of Maintenance, Flight Design USA.

The lateral dimension yes. The vertical dimension is calculated relative to the line between the wing pins ( I checked with Flight Design USA ). The best I can get is 3.5 degree relative without the spinner looking way out of place, top of spinner about even with the top cowling. Plane fly's great.

• 1 year later...

Archived