Time for grippy-er webbing - got a bloody nose from turbulence

Ed Cesnalis

Crow Enterprizes have what you need.  http://www.crowenterprizes.com/index.htm They have the dimensions to make seat belts for CT's already as many CT owners have ordered before you. I can't remember exactly the cost but my recollection is that they are about $150-175 for the set.  You only have to hit your head hard once because of the OEM slippery webbing that doesn't stay tight when you hit turbulence.  Your significant other will thank you when you don't get a concussion because of a bump.

46 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

If you want something less expensive, you can get Racequip harnesses from Jegs and Summit Racing.  They are adjustable to various harness lengths, and a buddy of mine uses them in his 9 second / 140mph quarter mile race car and highly recommends them.

R U saying use 4 out of 5 straps?

RaceQuip 711001

49 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

R U saying use 4 out of 5 straps?

RaceQuip 711001

You can, or you can make an attachment point for the anti-submarine strap at the rear bulkhead or the underside of the seat.  There is probably no need for it in the CT, since there's really nowhere to go in that direction unless your legs get severed...in which case you have bigger problems than sliding out from under your harness...

What about the other strap  on the back of the  seat? The one that adjusts the angle of the seat back? These always slip and need to be tied in  a  knot to hold. That is ok if you only have the same people in the plane but if you have a lot of different people it is difficult to untie the knot to adjust.

1 hour ago, Al Downs said:

What about the other strap  on the back of the  seat? The one that adjusts the angle of the seat back? These always slip and need to be tied in  a  knot to hold. That is ok if you only have the same people in the plane but if you have a lot of different people it is difficult to untie the knot to adjust.

How about a sliding buckle in the strap, that way you could just slide the buckle to the correct position and it will catch against the friction slider.  You'd have to make sure the friction on the sliding buckle is pretty tight to prevent slipping. 

You could also put rivets in the strap at various points.  Use rivets that are small enough to pass through the friction slider when open, but not when closed.  It would not be infinitely adjustable, but could switch between several set points almost instantly. 

On 12/6/2018 at 9:18 AM, Al Downs said:

The only time I had a problem with this is when I didn’t put the strap through the clamp correctly. I am 205 lbs and was 215 when I got the plane. (Another 1.5 gal of fuel for MTOW.😎)

On 12/9/2018 at 7:38 PM, Leathers said:

IMG_5168.jpg

Question:

Regarding the seat belt . . . to tighten each belt (right and left waist), do you “ pull outward, towards windscreen, or “pull down,” towards aft- seat bottom?

Makes a big difference on tightening and losening.

On 12/6/2018 at 8:18 AM, Al Downs said:

I replaced the rear straps with new 1" cam buckle straps that I bought off Amazon.  They hold perfect, I don't need to tie a knot in the strap anymore.  Easier to adjust.

IMG_2554.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 8:18 AM, Al Downs said:

Mine used to slip. Then I found out it was threaded the wrong way. I rethreaded correctly and now it holds. Rinky-dink system though...

Archived