Throttle Lever Friction Adjustment

DJ Todd B

During the colder weather I am finding that my Throttle Lever friction has decreased to the point that when I "touch down", it creeps up a bit just when I really want it to stay at idol.  I haven't messed with exploring how the friction is adjusted but figured someone out there like Roger might know how to easily adjust it. 

This is quite normal for cold weather. I had two in the last few weeks. Took me 10 minutes to tighten.  It doesn't need a washer. I have adjusted tons of them over the decade. It's quick and easy. Take the 4 screws out of the throttle/choke plate. The plate will lift up. Down inside you'll see a 13mm nut on the right of the throttle and a bolt head on the left side of the choke lever. Take a smaller flat tip screwdriver and place it down between the bot head and the plastic block to keep it from turning. Take a 13mm open end wrench and give the 13mm nut a slight tightening turn. It only needs to be a fraction of an inch. Then check the throttle friction. If your happy with the friction you're done. If not tweak it a tad more.

You can't hurt anything. When you look in there it will be obvious. One bolt and nut. You can't get a wrench on the nut and that's why you use a flat tip screwdriver to hold it from turning while you tighten the only 13mm nut on the other end. After you do the first one you'll be able to do others with your eyes closed and singing, I've been working on the railroad. LOL

Better brush up on the lyrics. :)

The adjustment is simple, but play with the lever after you make changes but before you button it up.  It's very easy to overdo it and make it tight enough that it gets "sticky", making subtle throttle changes hard, such as when landing.  Also, throw the tools to make this change in the airplane, you might find after changing it you don't like it and want to tweak it in the field.

I like mine to just be tight enough to avoid the rpm creeping forward, but not tight enough to give noticeable resistance to throttle changes.

Archived