CT incident Lorraine, Ohio 11/4/18

Scrapman1959

I have a cracked gear leg in my hanger from my CTLS. It’s a 2011 model. I never had any landings with this AC that I thought were a “hard” landing. Found the crack during a routine inspection. Bet that gear leg I replaced was defective as well. Does FD replace the defective ones? We paid $1500 for a new leg. 

Scrapman, based on the manufacturing defects found in the gear leg involved in this accident and the resulting investigation showing a history of manufacturing quality problems with  certain other CTLS gear legs, I would send the your cracked leg to FDUSA and have it inspected.  You might have receive a refund on the new leg you purchased if the identified defects are found in your cracked leg.  Also, my interactions with FDUSA make me believe that they would want to know if there are additional legs that might be defective.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Al Downs said:

We have just shy of 5000 hours on CTLS's for training and yes legs have been damaged but overall they seem to hold up pretty well with the students. 3 legs replaced in these 5000 hours 

Agree, the CTLS gear holds up pretty well with students.  I've replaced one in 2500 hrs on our CTLS used for primary training.  

Archived