batteries again

iaw4

2006 CTSW, N378CT.

[1] I want to carry a battery to start the airplane if, by mistake, I leave something on (or the battery is dead).  I also want to use it for extended playing with instruments in the cockpit.  I am thinking that something like https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-18000mAh-SuperSafe-Starter-Portable/dp/B0748D8KT6/ref=lp_1253955011_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1545007996&sr=1-1 should work.  opinions?

[2] I have seen a few topics about trickle chargers.  is there a universal favorite now that I can hook up and forget?  presumably it would switch itself on and off intelligently.

also, is the new CTLSi battery a drop-in better replacement for the older CTSW battery?

regards,

/ivo

I have recently been using a CTEK MXS 5.0 (test and charger)   Thus far i am happy with it.  Although,  i really dont use it much as i usually fly weekly and no need for the charge.  On my CTSW the 12v cig lighter is live even with the master switch OFF thus i always have my 12 v fuse popped in the off position just incase i have some parasitic drain.  (this happened recently when my (faulty) cigarette usb adapter plug was left in the receptacle and drained and killed the battery completely.)    I tried recovering the battery but it just wouldnt take the charge anymore.  

cdarza, there is a procedure to recover a AGM battery that has been deeply discharged.  The CTEK and most new chargers will not charge a battery if it is below a certain voltage. To charge a AGM that has been deeply discharged requires connecting a standard 12v "flooded cell" battery in parallel to the AGM battery and then applying the charger.  There should be directions either in your charger manual or on their website for this.  Might work in your case.

thanks.   leaving the collision light on is a great idea, obvious once explained.

I am thinking of replacing the standard battery with the earthx lithium one on the next annual.  does it have higher capacity than the standard?

amazon is selling automotive trickle chargers for $20 https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/automotive/15707061/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_automotive_1_4_last .  of course, lead-acid only, until I may upgrade next year.  any reason not to use any of the $20 ones?

7 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

cdarza, there is a procedure to recover a AGM battery that has been deeply discharged.  The CTEK and most new chargers will not charge a battery if it is below a certain voltage. To charge a AGM that has been deeply discharged requires connecting a standard 12v "flooded cell" battery in parallel to the AGM battery and then applying the charger.  There should be directions either in your charger manual or on their website for this.  Might work in your case.

thank you - probably too late but will try

22 hours ago, iaw4 said:

I am thinking of replacing the standard battery with the earthx lithium one on the next annual.  does it have higher capacity than the standard?

the standard battery in a 2006 CTSW was an Odyssey PC-310, with about 8Ah capacity.  the earthX ETX680C has 12.4 Ah and more cranking power.  with its longer life-span and various built-in protection circuits (and lighter weight), it seems well worth its cost.

IAW,

I think LiFePo batteries, like EarthX, operate at a higher nominal voltage than lead acid batteries. That's no problem in most vehicles as their voltage regulators are set high enough anyway. However, the voltage regulators that Rotax uses are a bit feeble and may not be able to fully charge an EarthX battery.

Some time back one of our more illustrious contributors, Chanik, did extensive testing on our voltage regulators and found that not only is their output voltage generally low, they don't regulator well (the voltage is all over the place) and they are inefficient (they get hot and occasionally burn out). He eventually found a better regulator made by Silent Hektik, but they are hard to come by. You should review his posts before committing to a lithium battery.

Mike Koerner

Archived