No Cabin Heat-SOLVED!

mikey70

Are you in a CTSW or CTLS?

On my CTLS's this is what I have  done and  it is  still freezing.

Blocked all holes including the large ones behind the seats.

New door gaskets and checked for leaks afterward.

Retaped the wing with Bolus tape

Aligned the intake and replace the rubber around it.

Checked to make sure the heat door in the duct  is opening and closing fully.

Used a smoke machine to find any leaks in the system. 

Applied rtv to all the leaks around the muffler. There were a lot of leaks there.

Checked all the duct hose for leaks.

Adjusted the carb heat and heat valves in the air box behind the engine. They were not adjusted very well.

Retested the system with the smoke machine. All leaks sealed and the cabin filled with smoke thru the  defrost and floor vents.

There are no drafts but it is still so cold on  cold days that you can only take it  for about an hour before you can't fell  your feet. Flying with heavy coats, pants and gloves is not  fun. Much better on sunny days but with no sun it is miserable.

Al,  some of your questions answered:

CTLSi model.

The large holes behind the seats (access to the Baggage comp) arrived factory blocked with an industrial cloth.

Gaskets are new, zero leaks around the doors, zero leaks around the air vents as well.

Wings are taped (gaps)

Per pre-flight inspections, no gaps in the intake

My feet were warm on both flights.  I fly with sneakers.

• 8 months later...

Ok! Thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure. Still getting very little  air movement out of that w the knob all the way open. Annual is coming up within two weeks so I will have them check the damper on the cabin heat. Also noticed that the intake for the cabin heat does not line up well w/ the cowling at all which could have a lot to do with it.

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2019 at 8:41 AM, mikey70 said:

The problem of no cabin heat has been well documented here and as suggested, I covered the cabin openings with foam blocks which did indeed reduce the air infiltration, however I still wasn't getting any heat. I checked the butterfly valve on the firewall and it was working correctly. When I inspected the air plenum that feeds the heat shroud I noticed that the rubber gasket on the front is made up of individual pieces of rubber and not the one piece that is shown in the parts manual. When installing the bottom cowling, the bottom piece of rubber will more than likely position itself so as to block the airflow into the heat shroud. No air flow = no heat. Its easy enough to tuck this rubber piece under the cowl opening after the cowl is fastened and that fixed the problem of no heat. The guy I bought the airplane from did not know about it either. He said the heater did not work. I believe this could also lead to a lack of carburetor heat as well so its more than just creature comfort. 

image.png.a22f15aff5936d90368df46bfe3c72fc.png

Mike do you know if this rubber piece can be purchased by FDUSA? Mine is all cracked as photo'ed below and I think a culprit of a lot of heat loss?image9.thumb.jpeg.593e213c1782755c0698c4cddefa237e.jpegimage9.thumb.jpeg.593e213c1782755c0698c4cddefa237e.jpeg

image8.jpeg

I have done all of that as well as sealing all of the leaks all around the muffler heat shroud and still not enough heat. There are a lot of air gaps around the muffler. I even installed new door gaskets. The only place not sealed is the tunnel  that goes between the seats and there is leaks there but I haven't tried to seal that because of the cables going thru there.

4 hours ago, Al Downs said:

I have done all of that as well as sealing all of the leaks all around the muffler heat shroud and still not enough heat. There are a lot of air gaps around the muffler. I even installed new door gaskets. The only place not sealed is the tunnel  that goes between the seats and there is leaks there but I haven't tried to seal that because of the cables going thru there.

I won't waste my time replacing this then. I'm thinking about just buying this and running it in the cabin on really cold days

https://www.amazon.com/ZYYRSS-Defroster-Windshield-Cigarette-Windscreen/dp/B0818KFST7/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dashboard+defroster&qid=1577656611&sr=8-3

30 minutes ago, Al Downs said:

If you can wait a few days I can let you know if a heater will work. I have one ordered and it supposed to be here soon. Holidays are delaying it a little. I plan on using it with a small motorcycle type battery

I can wait, why would you just not run it off the outlet in the plane? Are you talking a much larger heater then I linked? I'd be worried of a fire with anything larger.