A Good Day

Tom Baker

Congratulations to your son.

I think starting out in sailplanes is a real good approach. It emphasizes stick and rudder skills and provides insights into airmass motion and aircraft performance that I think some power-only pilots lack. And of course, it reduces the sense of dependence on the engine. Aircraft fly perfectly fine without them. If yours goes out you don't crash and burn like in the movies, or even panic. You just land on what’s available, like Buckaroo’s alfalfa field. Or, in the rare case where the terrain within gliding distance is unlandable, pull the chute.

Mike Koerner

8 hours ago, Mike Koerner said:

Congratulations to your son.

I think starting out in sailplanes is a real good approach. It emphasizes stick and rudder skills and provides insights into airmass motion and aircraft performance that I think some power-only pilots lack. And of course, it reduces the sense of dependence on the engine. Aircraft fly perfectly fine without them. If yours goes out you don't crash and burn like in the movies, or even panic. You just land on what’s available, like Buckaroo’s alfalfa field. Or, in the rare case where the terrain within gliding distance is unlandable, pull the chute.

Mike Koerner

The airplane he soloed in is a 1941 Taylorcraft. It also develops rudder skill. When I had my CT he could take off and land it okay with a little coaching, but he is much more proficient now.

Archived