ADS-B out / TailBeacon installed

JBoyd

I have a 2006 CTSW and I just installed the TailBeacon.  I am waiting for my chute to come in (tomorrow hopefully) and I will go fly and see if it works.  I made a little plate so I could use the existing h/w and attached the h/w that comes with the TailBeacon to it.  I made some extra Polycarbonate templates if anyone is interested that I can send to you.  The reason the hole on my plate looks goofy is you have to put the unit in at an angle and twist it and it locks in.  I had to make slight mods to the mounting plate on the device and I have pics of those as well I can send.  Once I go fly I will report back and let you know if it actually works as expected.

20190107_175346.jpg

20190107_175350.jpg

20190107_180723.jpg

No I did not. The white unit which is a waas antenna and waas receiver is in the picture.

The unit worked right out of the carton and only needed power and a wire between the two components.

THe Garmin transponder sends the altitude to the unit through either (blue tooth or wifi) and I don't know which.

I will try to upload pictures of the installation.

Nothing is behind the panel, only a 12 volt wire for power to the units that are behind the passenger compartment in the luggage area.

Larry

Bozo,

I don't think your Garmin transponder is sending either a Blue Tooth or wi-fi signal to your uAvionix's unit. Most legacy transponders don't have such capability. Instead, uAvionix uses its power lead to "read" the transponder transmissions. The 978 MHz UAT system uses a digital radio signal. It's a sequence of pulses, each of which causes a slight, but detectable, dip in the aircraft's bus voltage. This was uAvionix's brilliant way around a Garmin patent which prevents other ADS-B manufactures from using transponder transmissions.

Mike Koerner

I am trying to figure out what to do with respect to ADS-B Out and this post has been quite helpful for me.  Thank you to both JBoyd and Flying Bozo.  The pictures are particularly appreciated.  

I have some questions...  The FAA says "Owners of standard light sport aircraft (LSA) do not need to use certified equipment, but any alteration to install ADS-Bmust be authorized by the aircraft manufacturer or a person authorized by the FAA (see AC 90-114A). LSA owners may alter their aircraft if they change their airworthiness certificate to an experimental certificate."  https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/resources/faq/  

I have a Mode S transponder (Garmin GTX 330).  Flight Design / Tom P. recommended the GDL-82 (~ $1,800) but I read that does not work with a Mode S transponder.  I could update the GTX 330 to extended squitter mode for ~ $1,600 but I guess I still need an approved WAAS GPS source (I am assuming the Garmin 696 in my plane does not qualify as a WAAS source but I am not sure about that.).  

Anyway, I contacted my local avionics shop (VIP Avionics at KHFD) for a recommendation and a proposal and, after a week+, I got this useless answer:  "Alterations to a light sport must be approved by the manufacturer.  If Flight Design can provide ‘approved’ data for an ADS-B solution, VIP would consider moving forward with the project.  I recommend that as a first step you pursue the topic with them."  I talked to VIP on the phone and basically they are looking for a written procedure telling them step by step what equipment to install, how to install it, how to configure it, etc.  They don't seem to be able to propose a solution, so I will try to avoid using them if at all possible.  

So, basically I am at square 1 again.  I just started reading about uAvionix's tailBeacon and echoUAT/SkyFYX.  So, questions:

Are you experimental or SLA?  Did you guys get Flight Design to authorize whatever you did?  Did you need to get this in advance or is after-the-fact OK?  Who did the work?  Does Flight Design have an approved, standardized, approach for ADS-B compliance that is documented?  JBoyd, how can I get one of these "Polycarbonate templates" you mentioned?  I have a CTLS but I assume the CTLS and CTSW have the same need.  By the way, does your tailBeacon work?  Also, sorry to hear about your father.  I hope all is well there.  

15 hours ago, EFB said:

Anyway, I contacted my local avionics shop (VIP Avionics at KHFD) for a recommendation and a proposal and, after a week+, I got this useless answer:  "Alterations to a light sport must be approved by the manufacturer.  If Flight Design can provide ‘approved’ data for an ADS-B solution, VIP would consider moving forward with the project.  I recommend that as a first step you pursue the topic with them."  I talked to VIP on the phone and basically they are looking for a written procedure telling them step by step what equipment to install, how to install it, how to configure it, etc.  They don't seem to be able to propose a solution, so I will try to avoid using them if at all possible.  

Have your avionics shop figure out what equipment they want to install. Submit it to Flight design USA on this form http://flightdesignusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/MRA-Request-Fillable.pdf . The form is also available on the Flight Design USA website. If it is a solution that has already been approved the process will be fairly simple. If it is a one off it might take a little longer. There will probably be a fee for filing the paperwork. I did a Skygaurd TWX along with a iFly 740B GPS in a CTLS last year. I'm getting ready to do a Garmin GDL 82 in a CTSW.

9 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Have your avionics shop figure out what equipment they want to install. 

Tom Baker - thank you.  I explained this to VIP Avionics.  They don't want to figure anything out.  They are not willing to start the process; they don't want to propose a solution.  I was shocked but they want a written procedure telling them what to install, where to install it, how to configure it, etc. before even thinking about this.  Basically no 'figuring out' on their part.  I guess that is how they do it on certificated aircraft, and they don't seem interested in changing their approach.  So I want to find someone else to do this work.  But when I do, I will use the form you provided.  

By the way, it looks absurdly cold at KOLY today.  Stay warm!  

LS Bruce - thank you.  I will check that out and also talk to Flight Design at some point.  I am guessing that since that document is from 2016, there might be a better solution available right now.  But I am wrong a lot, so who knows...  🙂  Thank you again.  

18 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Have your avionics shop figure out what equipment they want to install. Submit it to Flight design USA on this form http://flightdesignusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/MRA-Request-Fillable.pdf . The form is also available on the Flight Design USA website. If it is a solution that has already been approved the process will be fairly simple. If it is a one off it might take a little longer. There will probably be a fee for filing the paperwork. I did a Skygaurd TWX along with a iFly 740B GPS in a CTLS last year. I'm getting ready to do a Garmin GDL 82 in a CTSW.

Tom,

Please let us know how the GDL 82 install goes. Any tips are appreciated.

Thus far, that is my preferred unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeffrey, you started this thread showing your UAvionix ADS-B Tailbeacon.  Thanks for providing the pictures. This will be a popular ADS-B unit and I'm sure others appreciate your input.  I haven't talked to recently and hope your father is doing well.  Give me a call when able to let me know how things are going.

• 3 months later...

EFB, you are right, the 696 is not WAAS and doesn't even qualify as a GPS for the FAA (since it is 'portable'). To display WX and TIS on the 696 you will need the GDL-39 (the only box that talks to the 696). For the 'out' solution I used a new Garmin GTX 335 w/WAAS and sold my GTX 330 to the installer (we basically split the profit). If you don't need TIS/WX on the 696, the 335 will Bluetooth to a phone or tablet running Garmin Pilot or Foreflight. Also you can use the many 'out' solutions mentioned above, with the Uavionix Echo UAT/ Sky FYX bundle being my favorite. All of these put out TIS/WX on wifi suitable for many phones, tablets and software packages (just not Garmin).

My CTLS is an S-LSA and needed an MRA to be sent to FD. They were fine with it and the new transponder passed on the first qualification flight. And my $500 check is in the mail from the FAA. Just remember to make a refund reservation  with the FAA prior to the actual install.

Good luck!