Qualifying to fly as Sport Pilot in LSA(SEL) with commercial SEL

Stingray141

I suspect this has been covered but I was unable to find the question via search. I have a Commercial SEL/MEL not current and not current medical. I would like to rent and fly a single engine light sport airplane with the limitations of a Sport Pilot. I need to help my instructor determine if I need a BFR and logbook endorsement to “perform  sport pilot” privileges, or if I need to have an evaluation ride with a designated examiner, similar to adding category/class to a commercial. Thanks

I’m not sure about the endorsement by a CFI, fornLight Sport, but you will need a BFR. You don’t need a check ride with a designated pilot examiner, that’s for sure. You ARE a PILOT! Without a medical or basic med, you have to follow the SP rules. Drivers License,  Fly an LSA, No night, can’t exceed 10k feet. You don’t need the sign off for airspace like class B. 

I’m sure someone will be along to add or correct me  Good Luck  

Just a flight review. Hopefully you let your last medical expire. Using a drivers license as a medical for exercising sport pilot privileges is just like stepping down to private pilot privileges when using a third class medical, it is just one step down the ladder of medical certification for pilot privileges. 

Archived