SB-AMST-ctls-02

Marc

Hello I am a new member

I just bought a 2008 ctls, unfortunatly the former owner did not do the fork stopper replacement.

i have the parts, and in the sb it says two hours work. I took the lower instrument panel out as per sb. I am not able to see all parts, let alone unscrew the cabling in there. Has any one experience how to get this done, if possible easier as discribed in the sb. Any info is welcome, thanks

marc

I did one 10 years ago. Mine had the stop plates on the motor mount, so it was pretty straight forward. Remove the triangle shaped stop plate. Remove the 2 pushrods for the nose wheel steering. Install the aluminum stop blocks. Reinstall pushrods with stops installed tighten jam nuts in lower fuselage. Adjust rudder travel with new stops. It takes long arms and patience when working in the lower tunnel. For this job it would also be nice if you had a helper.

Before adjusting the new stops I would check to make sure your rudder cable tension is OK, and taxi the airplane a little to make sure it is taxiing straight. Make adjustments to those before setting the rudder travel.

Hi tom, thanks for your reaction and the advice. I have the stopplates, so I just need to put the stop blocks on. It is working in the tunnel that confuses me, i do not think I can get two arms down the lower instrument panel hatch.

Two arms in the tunnel will not work. You will need one arm in the tunnel though. You will have to remove the triangular stop plate from the centering spring assembly. With help on the forward side of the firewall you will need to loosen the jam nut on both steering rods, so they can be unscrewed and removed for installation of the stop blocks. When the rods are reinstalled you may have to guide them into positions to be threaded back on the ball end, and you will have to tighten the jam nut. IIRC I bent a 10mm wrench over 90° to be able to access the jam nuts.

There is a way to install the new stop block without removing the rods. That is unbolting the motor mount from the front of the airplane and moving it forward enough to install the blocks. I would only consider this if you were removing it for other maintenance.

Archived