12th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page, AZ Oct 16 - 20, 2019

Olav

Tom, thank you for posting your comments.  They are well worded and show that you are a thoughtful person.  "But for the grace of God go I" is all I can think of.  We all have had close calls in our flying.   More than once I've asked myself, "what the hell was I thinking"?  We run these incidents thru our minds many times to try to learn from them and hopefully never repeat again.  Your accident and now your comments has caused me to think about things I've been taking for granted and have been complacent about.  We all know complacency can bite us but we don't think it will happen to us.  When a event such as yours, where someone within our circle of acquaintances or close friends gets bitten, then it hits home.  The excellent post you have provided us with along with the amazing video and still pictures really puts an indelible picture in my mind and hopefully this will remain to remind me to not be complacent.  Pilots who read about your misfortune may avoid a future accident by applying the knowledge gained to break the "error chain" they were headed for.  We need safe pilots.  I truly believe that you are one. 

Thanks Dick,  we all commit small errors during our flights and thankfully they end up not mattering. On that day we all made some large mistakes and I got called on mine. So now I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, but I'm glad if someone out there gives some extra thought to the 16 knot demonstrated crosswind and 24 knot total wind restriction on the CTLS and puts it into their daily checklist. Oh yeah, and don't let that wind circle around behind you, just say no and go have another cup of coffee ... cheers!

I flew down to Page for the fly-in. It had been too long since attending, and I wanted some XC time.
It was good to see the group of fellow CT owners.

My experience is nothing compared to Tom's surviving the crash.

Summary: Weather a major factor.  2 days down, 5 back. Beware mechanical problems. 
ADS-B is helpful plane to plane, when radar not available.
Flight following may not work if one is below the MEA.

Longer travel log is in the attached file. I hope it may help other's planning.

PageLog.txt

Nice Job BM.

With respect to the stuck throttle incident; a couple of times I've accidentally left the "choke" on after starting the engine and flown off with it still on. It has no effect on engine performance once the throttle has been advanced off of idle - it's not really a choke in the conventional sense. So, I don't notice it's on until I try to land. It adds several hundred rpm to the engine idle speed and with the longer wing on the CT2K this makes it impossible to land. I usually figure out what's going on about halfway down the runway after a horrifyingly long landing flair; then punch the power, pull the choke and go-around.

3500 rpm sounds too fast to attribute the problem to the choke, but it's the best I could come up with anyway.

Mike Koerner

Thanks.

This was a strange and frustrating incident. the throttle felt a little springy at close... normally it hits the throttle quadrant stop, and the throttle arm is just touching idle stops. I did not want to force it and maybe stretch the cables. best idea is something was obstructing the throttle butterfly and preventing total closure. There are times, like this, I wish I had a D120 so i could see EGT's.  I have analog engine gauges. Next time (if there is one) I'll try carb heat and a go-around.

As it worked Ok in the morning and throttle butterfly looked clean , I'm puzzled. I didn't pull the carb apart to look at diaphragm and sliders (in the field).

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a used CTLS last November.  I plan on attending the Fly-in this year if they continue, looks like a lot of fun...

Yesterday I did a day trip from Tucson to Cal Black Memorial Airport (U96), which is 30 miles from the Monument Valley Airport.  Garmin Pilot (which I use), AOPA, and Foreflight all show the runway in Poor condition.  The Airport Manager (Fila) said the runway was re-surfaced 3 years ago, I would rate it as Good to Excellent condition.  They have 92 Octane Mogas for $4.00.  Whoever plans 2020's Fly-in might want to add this destination for fuel.  I tried calling the airport for the last 3 weeks before flying there, and never could get through.  Fila said their phones have been out and they're so remote they haven't been able to get them fixed..

P1010411.thumb.JPG.6b3def8a3fab78596ce5e78033de6ca8.JPGP1010410.thumb.JPG.59b17f373951e550d9a897c7c2ebf1cc.JPGP1010413.thumb.JPG.8d5c85570b3c3d64a02d4a97f677ece2.JPG

Congrats Poco and welcome to the Club.  Look forward to seeing you in Page this year!  Are you in Tucson? I am in Mesa.  We have a group of flyers that fly every weekend to different Arizona destinations so let me know if you would like to be put on the Flying List. I have plenty of Flying Videos on Youtube that you can view.Just do a search for Todd Bristol on Youtube and you can view them.

Thanks for the information Poco! I've added Cal Black to my listing of convenient airports. It's a particularly convenient spot coming out of LA. Hurricane is a bit too close. I've used Marble Canyon on several occasions, but lugging fuel across the street takes extra time. ditto for Valle and Montrose (which is a bit too far anyway).

Cal Black has been listed as having auto fuel for some time, but when I called six miles out a few years back the radio response was, "We don't have any fuel", so I had given up on them.

Two questions: 1) Is the auto fuel pump the self-serve pump I see at the sound end of the tiedown area in your photo, or is it out of a truck and require an attendant? 2) Is there any food available at the airport?

Mike Koerner

Hi Mike,

The pump for the 92 Octane is a regular Auto Fuel pump, it’s located next to the white structure (in the first picture) about half way between the AVGas/Jet fuel tanks and the 2 boats.  It’s not set up for credit cards, you have to pay inside.  There is no grounding cable for the pump.. They also don’t have food there.  Fila did say she does make Indian Bread on Wednesday mornings.  

Fila gave me her Cell number since the Airport phone is down.  I just texted her to see if its OK to share it, she doesn’t want it posted anywhere but I can share it with someone who wants to fly there.  Send me an email and I’ll give it to you if you’re interested.  She also responded they have Jet/AVGas/Mogas available 24X7 365 days a year.

Jim

jmorfesy@gmail.com

• Admin2 unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...