2007 CTSW front gear question.

Buckaroo

My mechanic who’s new to FD’s replacing the 6 red or orange nylon disks or bushings in my front gear. He is wondering why there’s gobs of grease in the take apart pieces in that area. He said it’s a big mess of grease and wonders why it’s there. He reads nothing in the maintenance book about greasing the area. Advise please.

He’s got the book at the airport and asking me about all the lube mess. I have no idea of where it’s from. I ask the forum so that I can hopefully get a quick answer for him as he’s got it all apart. 

I’ll advise him to study page 10 and figure it out. 

Yes my guy commented on the fact that a petroleum based grease was not good on the disk materials. He thought a siliconed base grease which he applied would be more friendly to the disk material.

Also as we inspected the system I pulled down on the rear of the fuselage and let it go to bounce the front gear. We are both amazed at the lack of real shock those hard disks give. It’s like a quarter inch. He said in the manual the older CT’s used a spring and then they went to the red disks. 

Any input on this is appreciated. 

8 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

The spring would bottom out with a bang because of solid metal to metal contact. This was causing things that were not supposed to bend to bend. The new style has infinitely increasing resistance without the hard stop. Less prone to damaging other parts of the frame.

Makes sense! The plane is so light a small simple design with little travel should do the job. 

8 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Like Tom said the spring was worse and allowed the front end to wear too fast. Use the silicone and that's fine. The grease wouldn't hurt it though. How do I know. I have them Mfg'ed.

The take out plugs were deformed a bit. The massive amount of black grease constantly dripping down on the gear and flowing back under the fuselage made changing and cleaning the whole thing worth the effort. 

Archived