Altimeter Check

Ed Cesnalis

• Service Ceiling | Definition of Service Ceiling by Merriam ...

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/service ceiling

Service ceiling definition is - the altitude at which under standard air conditions a particular aircraft can no longer rise at a rate greater than a small designated rate (such as 100 feet per minute).

• Some of the planes I have flown show the service ceiling at the altitude at which you can no longer maintain a climb rate of 300fpm.  I imagine each plane has a different definition but it is usually based on the max altitude that you can maintain some predetermined climb rate.

12 hours ago, Warmi said:

If you are a sport pilot than can’t be higher than 16 k ....and even if you are a PP , the plane itself has a 15k service ceiling ,.... right ?

😀

A CT can climb into the flight levels.    In mountain wave conditions it can become impossible to prevent!

11 hours ago, Duane Jefts said:
  • Service Ceiling | Definition of Service Ceiling by Merriam ...

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/service ceiling

Service ceiling definition is - the altitude at which under standard air conditions a particular aircraft can no longer rise at a rate greater than a small designated rate (such as 100 feet per minute).

• Some of the planes I have flown show the service ceiling at the altitude at which you can no longer maintain a climb rate of 300fpm.  I imagine each plane has a different definition but it is usually based on the max altitude that you can maintain some predetermined climb rate.

It is also under standard conditions at gross weight with no external lifting factors.

We are spoilt flying our CS's I can remember flying a Cessna 150 on a hot day one up but full fuel taking a half hour to climb to 6000 to clear a mountain that was 6800, ended up going the long way round cause it just would not climb any more.

Archived