Cool Dynon Feature...

AGLyme

As a new pilot, one of my Chief flying concerns (until I get solid experience) is lining myself up with the proper runways when arriving at a new airport.  I happened to be on the Dynon forum yesterday and read a random post about "Extended Runway Centerlines"... which is evidently a standard Dynon feature now. 

I used the AutoPilot for the first time today, getting the hang of it... and as I approached my destination, I could see the thin green line, with the Runway numbers, extending miles beyond the airport allowing a newbie like me to easily achieve a good orientation and enter the downwind with ease.

A valuable tool.

Best, Andrew

EB3, 

Learning the Dynon (I have the HDX series, but it is VERY similar to the older model) from scratch is a bit frustrating as there is very little on the net to "teach" one how to use the damned thing.  I think they used to have classes, but you had to travel far... I don't see classes advertised.  There are Dynon videos on the Dynon YouTube channel... somewhat helpful... but the instructor flies through the steps assuming that the challenged viewers like me have a Dynon background already. 

My young CFI picked up on it very quickly as most young people do with systems and he was helpful, but my learning is a combo of 1) Reading the Online Manual, 2) Dynon and User YouTube vids, 3) sitting in the runup area for 30 minutes trying it out, and, 4) lots of cuss words.

I found #4 to be the most helpful.  great luck with it.

I use Garmin Pilot on my iPad, and have extended runway centerlines enabled on it.  I have been known to be occasionally "directionally challenged", but with that feature I have never lined up on the wrong runway, made traffic in the wrong direction, or entered a pattern in a way I did not intend.  I don't think I'd want to fly without it.

3 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I use Garmin Pilot on my iPad, and have extended runway centerlines enabled on it.  I have been known to be occasionally "directionally challenged", but with that feature I have never lined up on the wrong runway, made traffic in the wrong direction, or entered a pattern in a way I did not intend.  I don't think I'd want to fly without it.

What’s more, WingX not only provides extended runway centerlines, but also depicts the base legs of traffic patterns for each runway. I find that very handy, expecially if an immediate divert is necessary.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I have the iFly 740b as well, but am not seeing extended centerline info...do you know where that gets enabled in the software?

When you touch an airport on the map a menu pops up,  and there’s a “more options” button. Then press extend runways, and choose which runways to extend. The runway will be extended as well as an angle showing the pattern direction.  

1 hour ago, Ben2k9 said:

When you touch an airport on the map a menu pops up,  and there’s a “more options” button. Then press extend runways, and choose which runways to extend. The runway will be extended as well as an angle showing the pattern direction.  

Slick!

3 hours ago, Ben2k9 said:

Do you have to do that on every flight, or is it a generic option?

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Do you have to do that on every flight, or is it a generic option?

I just do it as I am approaching the airport. I dont think there’s a way to always have it on. You may not want all runways extended anyway, just the one that you’re going to land on to reduce clutter. 

@FlyingMonkey   for Garmin Pilot  (I have GP on a tablet closer to my face and use it more than my EFIS for orientation as I approach.

Extended runway centerlines have been improved to display the mile markers for airports in your current flight plan.

To display Runway Centerlines:

• From the Map page, select Ownship / Route from the map layer icon
  • Choose the desired Extended Centerline Style (i.e. Feathered or Dashed Line)
  • Select the visibility range 

23 hours ago, Ben2k9 said:

I just do it as I am approaching the airport. I dont think there’s a way to always have it on. You may not want all runways extended anyway, just the one that you’re going to land on to reduce clutter. 

Yeah, but in Garmin Pilot for example I set it to always extend runways on flight planned airports.  It's kind of dumb to have to manually do it each time, unless that's what you want.

21 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

@FlyingMonkey   for Garmin Pilot  (I have GP on a tablet closer to my face and use it more than my EFIS for orientation as I approach.

Extended runway centerlines have been improved to display the mile markers for airports in your current flight plan.

To display Runway Centerlines:

• From the Map page, select Ownship / Route from the map layer icon
  • Choose the desired Extended Centerline Style (i.e. Feathered or Dashed Line)
  • Select the visibility range 

Yeah, I have it set in GP as you do, so I don't miss it much in iFly.  I have it set for flight planned airports, so I have to hit a "direct to" to a different airport to get the runways.  I think it's too cluttered for my tastes to have them on for all airports, even in a fairly small radius.  We often have 5 airports or more in a 20 mile radius in this area.

Archived