What's the best Washing Solution to wash the plane with?

DJ Todd B

I use Composiclean products @ composiclean.com. They make a wash product, a spray cleaner product which is mainly what I use, and a product called Haze Glaze. I also use oil eater on the belly about once a year followed with the spray cleaner.

Dish soap will strip off any wax that may be on the surface. I have never used dish soap on any car or plane I have ever owned.

3 hours ago, DJ Todd B said:

OK, looks like everyone is using some pretty expensive solutions out there.  Is there anything "over the counter" "Walmart style" that will do the job safely?

The problem is that most cheap "over the counter" solutions are not Ph-neutral.  Higher or lower Ph can attack the foam cores under the carbon fiber if it gets in there, and cause delamination and sagging of structures.  It has happened on several CTs. 

50 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

The problem is that most cheap "over the counter" solutions are not Ph-neutral.  Higher or lower Ph can attack the foam cores under the carbon fiber if it gets in there, and cause delamination and sagging of structures.  It has happened on several CTs. 

Agreed, having seen deformed structure due to the foam dissolving it is not worth trying to save a few buck over.

My Aircraft Maintenance Manual just mentions to use the following (without getting into any specifics about ph or similar matters ....):

Lukewarm water, Cleansing agents used for cleaning and protecting automobiles

Ps. And of course, it is just like FD planes, 85% carbon fiber with a sandwich of fb and foam core glued with epoxy + fiberglass in all other, non-structural parts...

3 hours ago, Warmi said:

My Aircraft Maintenance Manual just mentions to use the following (without getting into any specifics about ph or similar matters ....):

Lukewarm water, Cleansing agents used for cleaning and protecting automobiles

Ps. And of course, it is just like FD planes, 85% carbon fiber with a sandwich of fb and foam core glued with epoxy + fiberglass in all other, non-structural parts...

While the construction method is the same, it might use a different foam core material.

Indeed they are different - FD is using Rohacell foam ( Polymethacrylimide) vs Divinycell H60 ( PVC) for the Sting.

FD manual actually does explicitly state to avoid certain cleaning products - these are very explicit warnings, and as  you said, it is not worth saving a few bucks given how expensive can structural composite repairs be ...

• 8 months later...

Once you get it clean a coat of wax will help for future cleanings. I have used Nufinish before with good results. If you are going to be flying when you know it is going to be real buggy, a quick layer of Nufinish before you fly without wiping it off will make bugs come off easy. Another trick if you have a bunch of dried on bugs is a Bounce dryer sheet and water. They come off like butter.

2 hours ago, sandpiper said:

There was a pilot in this airpark whose wife met the plane after every flight and cleaned the bugs off. He passed on before I ever learned his secret. If any of you have this figured out, please post.

I knew a guy with a natural aluminum polished Luscombe. His wife cleaned the airplane regularly, and polished it twice a year. He worked and brought home the money, and she was a stay at home house wife.

• 2 weeks later...

Meguiar’s Waterless Wash and Wax

Sale
MEGUIAR'S G3626 Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax, 26 Fluid Ounces
904 Reviews
MEGUIAR'S G3626 Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax, 26 Fluid Ounces
  • ONE EASY STEP: Premium formula conveniently...
  • WATER SPOT-FREE: Advanced chemistry contains...
  • LONG-LASTING BARRIER: Advanced polymer...
  • SAFE FOR GLOSSY PAINTS: Is safe and effective...
$14.99 −34% $9.87
Buy on Amazon